Sneezing chicks... make the switch to medicated feed?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hawthornechix, Feb 9, 2013.

1. hawthornechix

hawthornechix New Egg

Jan 25, 2013
    North Texas
    Just read the "my chicks are sneezing" thread and I still have a question that I thought someone could help with... I have 5 two week old chicks and over the past few days 2 of them have been doing that high-pitched chick sneeze and head shake. I realize that it could be dust from the bedding or from the finely-ground feed. I'm not looking to start shooting them with antibiotics, but right now our chicks are on non-medicated feed (Hiland Naturals). Would a few days or a week of medicated chick starter benefit the little sneezers and nip any potential respiratory illness in the bud?

2. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    The medication in feed is only to help prevent Cocci. It will have no effect on a respiratory problem.

More then half of the cases of sneezing chicks is from the dust/dander in the brooder. This can be helped by increasing the ventilation, changing out the bedding, and wiping down the walls with a damp clothe. If not corrected it can/will lead to a respiratory infection that can become contagious.

Matt

Added: The cloth is only a little damp and that is with a mild bleach solution. At least that is what I have used in the past.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  3. hawthornechix

hawthornechix New Egg

Jan 25, 2013
    North Texas
    Thanks, very helpful! We just upgraded the chicks to a bigger brooder which is also more airy... Here's hoping that does the trick!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by