Sneezing chicks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by thejewell1966, Jun 24, 2016.

1. thejewell1966

thejewell1966 New Egg

Jun 12, 2016
    I have chickens from 4 1/2 months to 2 months & after some heavy rain that lasted several days few days later my chicks started sneezing at first nothing but a sneeze then I notice in one of them watery like came out of her nose it was clear that has stopped but the sneezing continues & now a few seem to have trouble or what looks like gasp for air every now & then ( like taken a deep breath). Farm store here told me to use duramycin 1/4 tsp per gallon then I read they should be getting 1-2 teaspoons a gallon now I've read tablespoon per gallon of water. What is the correct amount? I started with this on Monday then upped it on Wednesday. What should I do? HELP PLEASE! I've also read about giving Tylan 50? I don't know what I should be doing.

2. Chickensfan

Chickensfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2016
    California!
    they might have Gapeworms, or might just be allergic to dust. try cleaning their environment. Also, what kind of bedding do that have? They could also have a tiny cold...What came out of their nose, by the way, was just boogers and snot. It is a good sign that their nostrils are not clogged, but a bad sign that the snot in coming down so heavy. One things for sure, keep them in a warn environment.
    good luck!

3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    It sounds like they have a respiratory illness.

Sneezing and runny nose could with gasping/trouble breathing could be anything from Infectious Bronchitis to Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG).

Chickens do not get colds. One chicken may sneeze occasionally due to dusty conditions, mold, sensitivity to ammonia, etc., but when multiple birds exhibit similar symptoms it almost always means a contagious respiratory illness/disease.

Duramycin dosage is 1.5 tablespoons per gallon.

If the Duramycin doesn't help you may want to use Tylan 50. Dosage is 1 cc or ml per 5 pounds of weight. Give it orally or as an injection into the breast muscle 1/4 inch deep.

Keep in mind most respiratory illnesses are contagious and you should have a vet perform testing to determine which illness you are dealing with.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...acycline-antibiotic-in-water/70#post_17143928

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by