Sneezing chicks

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Chick_Lit123, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Chick_Lit123

Chick_Lit123 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2011
    I have six 10-week old chicks and still have the heat lamp on in their coop. The place is draft-free with lots of bedding. But a few are sneezing occasionally. Should I introduce vitamins in the water? And how long should I keep the infrared light on in the coop? Other than the odd sneeze or two, they are flourishing...BTW: I live in MASS, very cold climate.

2. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Quote:At 10 weeks old they should be feathered out enough to not need a heat lamp even in MA as long as they are draft free. I'd phase out the heat lamp by lowering it a little each night and cutting it off during the day so their bodies can adjust. And your chicks are too young to need any supplemental daylight right now.

I would also post this question in the emergency forum so someone more knowledgeable could help you as chicks sneezing isn't a normal thing. Putting vitamins in their water is a good thing, just follow the proper dosing on the package label. But definitely ask about the sneezing - it could be dust in your coop making them sneeze, but I would want to rule out health issues first.

3. Chick_Lit123

Chick_Lit123 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2011
    Thanks for the answer. the shavings i got are particularly dusty--not the usual fluffy stuff i typically get. So could it just be sawdust making them sneeze? And, i think it's only one of the chicks and she sneezes only occasionally.

4. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    No sneezing isn't normal behavior. Dusty coop is normal. I don't have access to my computer right now but you should do a search of sneezing in the emergency forum and see what the answers are. I hope I'm wrong and sneezing is okay. Occasional may be fine. But investigate to be sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by