Sneezing Chicks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jens8chicks, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Jens8chicks

Jens8chicks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2014
    Lakeside, CA
    I had 8 chicks delivered July 10th 2 Buff Orphingtons 9wks, 2 Barret Rocks 8wks, 2 Rhode Island Reds 7wks, 2 White Leghorns 7wks. I had noticed about the second week i had my chicks one of my white leghorns was sneezing. I asked a few fellow friends (chicken Owners) should i be concerned? Most said maybe it is my bedding but they are not even going into the nesting boxes right now they huddle in a corner of there hen house. So they then said i wouldnt be concerned if no other chicks dont start sneezing well now one of my Barret Rocks is sneezing? what should I do? Please anyone give me a heads up? Thanks in advance

2. Jens8chicks

Aug 4, 2014
    Lakeside, CA
    I noticed one has some discharge by nose, Anyone please give me a heads up what to do?

3. Jens8chicks

Aug 4, 2014
    Lakeside, CA
    Went to East County Feed and Supply store yesterday. The guy there said sounds like a cold. Surprised they would get a cold in sunny San Diego. Recommended since has been awhile already around all chicks to treat whole flock with vet rx said give them some pedialite so I am down here with my chicks trying to see if this will help. Any one have any names of good chicken electrolytes I can get for my girls.

4. Stiggy

Stiggy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    Sounds like a cold or sinues infection, especially if they have nasal discharge. They will all need to be treated with antibiotics something like tetracycline

5. Jens8chicks

Aug 4, 2014
    Lakeside, CA
    The feed store guy said try the vet rx for three days then if it isn't getting better come back and get some antibiotics. Haven't really seen a difference got late yesterday going to see how tomorrow went then go from there. What you think Stiggy?

6. Stiggy

Apr 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    I'm not sure what vet rx is but I doubt it will do anything substantial. If it works great but if not you will need the antibiotics.

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If there is no eye or facial swelling, chest rattles or gurgling, or thick nasal discharge, then it could be a virus called infectious bronchitis or a mild case of MG. I might try the antibiotic, either oxytetracycline in the water or Tylan, and treat them to prevent any secondary infections. Just be aware that they may be carriers from now on, and you shouldn't sell or give away chickens or eggs. Also, make sure that you have as much ventilation in your coop as possible, no moisture where mold can grow, no ammonia from droppings, and no dust.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  8. Jens8chicks

Aug 4, 2014
    Lakeside, CA
    Eggsessive I am sorry what is MG? My eggs will be bad to eat. I believe my coop has plenty of ventilation. There is no mold but how can you keep from dust if it is in the dirt?

9. Jens8chicks

Aug 4, 2014
    Lakeside, CA
    As I posted earlier about my sneezing chick. It is day three sneezing slowed (was sneezing about every 5 min now sat down there for an hour while cleaning up run after mess snack day sneezed twice) but not completely gone. Should I get the antibiotics or give it one more day? I was also thinking should I do a major diluted bleach clean down of the hen house because they had the cold? Have had my chicks for a month now and a few already had a cold. First flock not sure what I should do to prevent them from getting it again. Chicks aren't laying yet but was told eggs will be bad cause they may of had MG (not sure what that is). Any info is helpful.

10. Stiggy

Apr 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    I would get the antibiotics and start treating. Also if you have an area where you can confine them such as a crate/ bathroom etc that's a good idea. Bleach and hot water, detol/ antiseptic/ hospital grade cleaner is a good idea and a good scrub of everything. if containers are dishwashable then that might be a good idea as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by