Sneezing Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rainwolfeh, Mar 24, 2015.

1. rainwolfeh

rainwolfeh Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2015
    Hi! This is our first year raising chicks after wanting them and looking into them for years. We started out with...a tad too many (enough are being rehomed to others to keep just six chicks, don't worry - with the breeds we wanted from TSC we had to go twice so too many chicks, or, so I've been told by some people understandably) but they were all doing great until this morning.

I have six chicks that are around two weeks, and four that are nearing a week. (Also 3 bantam chicks kept separately the same age). As I said, they were all doing great - no pasty butt, no issues - until this morning we found Fili and Kili sneezing. They don't have any sort of crust around their eyes or nose, are just as active and eating great, so apart from the sneezing so far there doesn't seem to be a problem. It seemed to spread to Rose this evening though, and I'm worried that it might be something other than just dust or whatever. They all have a mix of probiotics and electrolytes in their water as well.

A few chicks also seemed to have watery droppings, but that was only after adding the probios/electrolytes so I thought perhaps it was just their systems getting used to it.

If the sneezing/dropping issue doesn't improve we'll get a vet to come out, we definitely don't want it to spread.

Do you guys have any suggestions? Should we be worried? Separate the 'sick' chicks somehow?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by