Sneezing Cockatiels!!

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by teenchik, Jan 12, 2011.

1. teenchik

teenchik Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2010
    About 3 days ago my young brother got a pair of breeding cockatiels from a friend of a friend. they aren't well handled, they seemed health but unfriendly. He found trust games to play with them in the cage and him on the other side so they feel safe and get used to him slowly. All is well in birdy land. Then i noticed to night that the male 'spike' is making a sneezing noise. javascript:insert_text('[​IMG]',%20''); I have been told by my brother that they have both been sneezing since they got here three days ago. I do not know what this means, Ijavascript:insert_text('[​IMG]',%20''); I love birds but my experience is chickens not these little caged things like cockatiels I am clueless what can I do what the sneezing mean?
    Please help me anyone who knows anything and will be super thankful! javascript:insert_text('[​IMG]',%20'');

2. mamabigbird

mamabigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Vancouver Island, B.C.,
    I don't know why they are sneezing, but oddly enough, I came to the caged bird topics to see if anyone knew why my dove has been sneezing.
    So I thought we may both get an answer. Jasper has been sneezing for a couple years now and seems otherwise healthy.
    My livingroom is very small and Jasper shares the room with our cockatiel and our cockatoo. They never sneeze so it doesn't seem contagious.
    I assumed he had some kind of upper respiratory problem. But again he has been doing this for a couple of years. I also wonder about
    environmental allergens. Hopefully we'll both get some info.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Good luck, not sure what it means myself. My tiel and buggies don't sneeze often, and when they do, it's because they got something in their nares.

4. BAMABIRDS

BAMABIRDS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2011
    Unless Their Eyes Are Swelled And Puffy They Are Fine. I Used To Raise Them And They Do Sneeze Often For No Apparent Reason.

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

They are really dusty birds when I think about it. I run a 600sq foot rated hepa filter 2 hours a day in the bird room and clean it once a week along with vacuuming and letting the birds have a bath every other day and there is STILL dust everywhere!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by