Sneezing/Congested Chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BPM83, Nov 30, 2016.

1. BPM83

BPM83 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2016
    Peculiar, MO
    I have several chickens that are congested and sneezing. The sickest ones also have foul smelling breath. All are eating and drinking well and behaving normally. I separated the visibly sick from the others and started everyone on Duramycin. Any ideas as to what they may have or suggestions on treatment? Thank you.

2. newhenintown

newhenintown Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2016
    Hayden, Al
    It sounds like it might be coryza but im no expert. As far as treatment im unsure as I've never dealt with it before. Hopefully someone much wiser on the issue will respond.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    As @newhenintown has suggested, the foul smell could possibly be Infectious Coryza.

Any discharge from the eyes/nose?
    Can you take them to a vet?

You can try the Duramycin for Coryza, but usually Sulfa drugs may be more effective.

FWIW make sure the foul smelling breath is not due to a crop issue (like sour crop) and is coming from the discharge from the illness.

Keep in mind that most respiratory illnesses are contagious and will make exposed and recovered birds carriers for life. Antibiotic treatment will only help with any secondary infections and won't cure the disease.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

4. BPM83

BPM83 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2016
    Peculiar, MO
    Some of them have discharge coming from their noses. I do know that they are now infected permanently. It's very unfortunate as they are all young. The hens haven't even started laying yet. I am not willing to cull the flock. But now I guess I can't get more birds or hatch any eggs. It's very upsetting. I believe it came from one of two birds I got a few weeks ago. The others I have had for several months with no problems. I should have quarantined them but I am new to this and didn't realize I was suppose to. Anyway, thanks for the information. I will look into sulfa drugs.
    By the way, does this affect turkeys and Guinea fowl as well?

5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm sorry, I'm sure it is very upsetting.

I do wish all the wonderful articles about getting backyard flocks educated/cautioned owners about quarantine and bio-security. Don't beat yourself up. Check with your local ag agent or vet, they may be able to do some testing to confirm what you are dealing with. Research the illness, there are usually ways you can manage illness especially if you keep a closed flock and practice bio-security. Choosing not to cull is your choice. If you do decide you may want to add to your flock in the future, hatch your own eggs if you have a rooster or check into having chicks vaccinated.

Infectious Coryza can affect Guinea, pheasants and chickens. Turkeys are up for debate, there is a Turkey Coryza, which I do not find transmitting to chickens in my research, but to be on the safe side, practice your bio-security and house any fowl separately from your chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by