sneezing, coughing, discharge on eyes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by QuailQT, Jun 15, 2011.

1. QuailQT

QuailQT Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2009
    NW PA
    I'm very sad....[​IMG]

Most of my speckled sussex that I got at TSC during chick days have died over the last couple days. They started out sneezing, then coughing and looking listless, then got ruffled feathers and started looking poorly. Out of 6, I've lost all but 2. They didn't have the discharge in their eyes, but today I found my blue olive egger roo with yellow, crusty discharge/white puss above one eye and the other matted/swollen shut!
    I didn't notice him coughing or sneezing or showing any other signs before the eyes. I did notice that some of my other young birds were coughing and sneezing a bit, but they were from BYC breeders and not from TSC. They are still ok...I'm thinking that that may have given them more natural immunity? Even after treatment, they would still always be carriers though, right?

How long will the virus last in the yard/soil after exposure to the sick chickens? Does it sound like two different sicknesses or the same-just different symptoms?

Hoping for the best......[​IMG]

ETA- What medication would be best? I don't want to buy the wrong thing. I would rather not, but I could give injectables if that would be the quickest, most effective treatment.
    Thanks in advance... [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  2. QuailQT

QuailQT Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2009
    NW PA
    Anyone have an idea what meds to use?????

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

ETA- What medication would be best? I don't want to buy the wrong thing. I would rather not, but I could give injectables if that would be the quickest, most effective treatment.
    Thanks in advance... sad

No one can tell you that with any certainty since we have no idea if they have a virus (no antibiotic will fix a virus) or a bacterial infection. Can't tell you if they'll be carriers, again, for the same reason. You'd have to have the state or a vet test one of the birds to know what you're dealing with and how to treat it, IF you treat it at all. Most breeders would cull for those symptoms, no matter what caused them.

The symptoms sound like CRD/mycoplasmosis and that is a carrier disease and can be passed down through the egg to future chicks, however, can't really diagnose with 100% certainty over the net. You'd need testing.​

4. sshavney

sshavney Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Liberty Mounds, OK
    Sounds like what my Wyandotts had. I gave them a shot containing 1/2 CC of LA200 in the breast area. On the 3rd day I gave them another shot. They are healthy now :f. I kept them in the garage in seperate cages. I was told NOT to give any other antibiotics.

5. sshavney

sshavney Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Liberty Mounds, OK
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  6. Bravo

Bravo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    CA
    If you have other birds I would definitely have these chicks tested by your local vet. Have them do throat swabs and blood work. You dont want to risk passing this on to any other birds so it is best to know what you are dealing with.

I'm having a respiratory issue of my own and waiting on lab results to come back from the vet. It isn't cheap but I refuse to cull a large flock of birds without getting back definitive info first.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by