Sneezing, coughing, discharge, really fluffed up, wont eat/drink

Willa Beth

In the Brooder
Apr 6, 2018
Recently, we got a few chickens we are holding for a friend (six months old). They are separated from our flock. However, three of them got sick after all the cold and rain in Georgia. Sneezing, coughing, wheezing and making a gurgling noise. Their appetites were good and they drank just fine. Gave antibiotics, all are well now. This was two weeks ago.

Now, one of my chickens (4 years old) stopped eating and started sneezing coughing, gurgling and wheezing. Our bird is all fluffed up, lethargic and not eating/drinking. I have never had sick chickens before so I don't know what to do. I don't know if this is the same thing the other birds had or if it is infectious somehow.

We separated our sick bird from the rest of our flock, however, I am seeing some of the same symptoms, although much milder, in some of our other flock. They are not free ranging right now but I am keeping them in the coop today. This started day before yesterday. Please let me know your thoughts. I am desparate. btw, my flock all chickens are about 4 years old.

From your description, it sounds like they have a respiratory disease-most likely contracted by the visiting birds. Mycoplasma, Infectious Bronchitis, ILT and Infectious Coryza are some of the more common illnesses that chickens get and pass along. Antibiotics like Tylan50 will help treat secondary infections due to illness. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Your whole flock has already been exposed. Only treat birds that show symptoms. It was good that you separated the one since she seems to need extra care. See that she is staying hydrated and encourage her to eat.

Without testing, it's hard to know which illness your flock has contracted, just be aware that almost all respiratory diseases make the flock carriers for life, regardless if they show symptoms or not. Future birds added to your flock also will be considered carriers.

What about adding chickens? I have raised a nice flock in my garage but have not put them outside yet. Is this airborne?

So should I clean the coop and all feeding areas/waterers etc...? Or does it matter?

What about adding chickens? I have raised a nice flock in my garage but have not put them outside yet. Is this airborne?

So should I clean the coop and all feeding areas/waterers etc...? Or does it matter?

It won't hurt to clean/sanitize your feed/water stations. In your coop you can remove excess dust/feathers.

Virkon S is supposed to be very good as a disinfectant, I've never used it. Respiratory illness is spread through dust/dander, feathers, body fluids, on clothes/shoes, etc.
Do some research on the different illnesses that affect chickens and consider having some testing performed by your state lab so you know what you are dealing with. https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahln/downloads/all_nahln_lab_list.pdf

Just to bring ya'll up to date: My chicken who was sick is perfectly fine now. AND none of my other chickens were sick. It was all in my head that they might be sick too. Looks like we have dodged an outbreak. BUT, i am still keeping an eye on everyone and have thoroughly cleaned everything inside and out in regards to the coop, house and chicken runs/yards. Just about killed myself in the process but I felt it was necessary. Used Virkon S, too. Was also told to keep Denagard on hand for any future problems. Here's hoping we are past it. Thank you to this great group who offered advice/help! Thank you!!!

Just to bring ya'll up to date: My chicken who was sick is perfectly fine now. AND none of my other chickens were sick. It was all in my head that they might be sick too. Looks like we have dodged an outbreak. BUT, i am still keeping an eye on everyone and have thoroughly cleaned everything inside and out in regards to the coop, house and chicken runs/yards. Just about killed myself in the process but I felt it was necessary. Used Virkon S, too. Was also told to keep Denagard on hand for any future problems. Here's hoping we are past it. Thank you to this great group who offered advice/help! Thank you!!!
A word of caution. Practice biosecurity, dont hold chickens for friends or anyone else. Their birds can possibly carry respiratory diseases. Those diseases can be unknowingly carried on your person, hands, shoes, feeders/waterers, equipment, even tires.
Then when you walk into YOUR chicken pen...you just contaminated the soil, also if you pick up one of your birds, then it spreads from there.
Stay away from bird shows, swap meets, Craigslist, and farmer down the road. Or when you get home, throw everything in the wash, take a shower and wear different clothes and shoes before going out to your chicken pen. Thankfully, it sounds like you dodged a bullet.

I have most definitely learned my lesson on holding chickens for someone else. It's been a hard lesson but a good one. My plan is to take some classes and read more about poultry health so I can avoid it and hopefully help others.
My neighbor loves to feed wild birds so that's an issue as well with spreading disease. Many things to learn! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom