1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sneezing, coughing, swollen eyes.. Help Please!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by elainew, Apr 21, 2011.

1. elainew

elainew New Egg

Apr 21, 2011
    Hello Everyone!
    I am a NEWBIE chicken owner!Never owned a chicken before in my life before 2 months ago! This morning I noticed 2 of our hens with sneezing, a swollen eye, like a mucus coming out of the nose maybe, and what sounds like coughing.
    These hens are mixed breed chickens, I don't know how old they are cause i bought them this size.
    This is also the first sign of any trouble. They are good eaters and good layers.
    Our chicken pen and yard has just been built and we keep it cleaned out at all times. There's no stacks of poop is what i am trying to say [​IMG] .
    We keep the water source off of the ground so it's not full of poop either. and it's changed daily.
    And they have feed out for them at all times. Nothing I own goes hungry, (including myself) LOL..
    Any advice, thoughts would be so welcome!
    Oh I should add we have the 8 full grown hens, and 36 teenage chickens in the pen..
    Thanks so much in advance for your help!
    Sincerely,,
    Elainew..

2. SunnyDawn

SunnyDawn Sun Lovin' Lizard

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Oh no! I wish I could help but I haven't come across this before. I have read other threads on this before though. Maybe do a search on sneezing or swollen eyes? I'm sure it's nothing you have done. Maybe try some vitamin water? I use the chick vitamin powder for my newly hatched babies, I would think they might help even grown chickens. Same strength since they would just drink more water. I sure hope they feel better soon! [​IMG]

3. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    When did you get these 2 hens and did you keep them apart from your flock for at least 30 days? It sounds like a respiratory problem you might want to do a search on here for that. I would get the 2 that are sick away from your main flock. If it is a respiratory problem then its a virus and could infect your whole flock and make them carriers of it for life.

4. elainew

elainew New Egg

Apr 21, 2011
    Thanks for your replies!
    we got them all at the same time. there's been no knew chickens brought in since we built the pen and put them all in it.
    Which is a problem in it's self i see.. just throwing them all together at once. I think...

5. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    Quote:Did you get them from different places? I do think you have an respiratory illness. I would call you state vet school they might be able to help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by