Sneezing? DEATH SENTENCE???? ADVICE!!

Well, we need more information. Sometimes a sneeze is just a sneeze.... small particles from the bedding irritating them, eating too fast, etc. And sometimes it is a sign that there is something wrong..... illness etc.

What kind of bedding are you using?
Are the chicks indoors or out?
How old are they?
JUST sneezing? How often? Do you notice it when they eat or all the time?
Any drafts?
Any nasal discharge?
Any other symptoms?

Well, me being the stupid first-time chicken owner that i am, put the chicks in a wire cage with a pan (for food), a little bed, water, and a lamp. However, i am pretty dang sure that they got chilled (Luckily, they were only in the wire cage for about twelve hours). So last night, i put them in a cardboard box with pine shavings and everything as before. I have the box set up in my bathroom, which is pretty small and the doors are shut so it shouldn't be drafty. The chicks are only three weeks old and i am worried that i have given them a death sentence by accidentally letting them get cold. They don't have any discharge, and i have only noticed the sneezing a couple times. However, i am particularly worried about my little buff because he doesn't seem to move around as much as the others, such as when i go in the bathroom, the others high tail it into the corner, and he just continues laying there looking at me. He seems to be eating and drinking, but just lays there with his little wings kind of droopy.

any advice is much appreciated.

Last edited:
Well, hopefully you're like me (I'm a first time chicken owner with chicks) and you're just being overly protective and sensitive. I agree that a few sneezes every once in a while probably isn't a big deal (one of mine seems quite sneezy). At three weeks (mine are just a few days beyond that), they should have enough feathers to withstand slightly cooler temps for a short period of time. If the "chill" was from a week or two ago, then I think any ill affects would have already shown up...

As for the little guy who just lays there when you come in, with wings relaxed. Could it be that he's just comfortable and not afraid of you??? When mine relax, their wings are all sprattled out (they kind of look like they are dead when they're almost asleep). If you go to pick him up, does he respond?? Either by making a fuss or acting like he likes it??? Now if he seems listless all the time, I'd be worried. But if you watch them for about 30 minutes, does he seem to socialize and peck around??? If so, then I wouldn't worry.

If not, then I'd continue looking for answers here on the site or elsewhere. Some say the ACV or even Gatorade??? Check around for more suggestions... Good luck!

teach1rusl:
As for the little guy who just lays there when you come in, with wings relaxed. Could it be that he's just comfortable and not afraid of you??? When mine relax, their wings are all sprattled out (they kind of look like they are dead when they're almost asleep). If you go to pick him up, does he respond?? Either by making a fuss or acting like he likes it??? Now if he seems listless all the time, I'd be worried. But if you watch them for about 30 minutes, does he seem to socialize and peck around??? If so, then I wouldn't worry.

Well, I had them on the metal cage yesterday (Sunday). When i go to pick them up, they all throw a fit, even the buff. They all eat together, mainly at the same time, so i know that he gets up and eats...​

Last edited:
I am not sure if chicks being occassionally cold is a death sentence. I let mine run around outside for about a an hour or so a day when they were about 1-2 weeks old. They spent almost all day outside by the time they were about 5 weeks in early March. None of them died from the cold. Of course, I live in California.

As for one not moving, you might want to take that chick to the vet to be checked out as a precaution. Do you know if and what they were vaccinated against? This could rule out a some likely diseases.

Also, my chickens sneezed quite a bit when they were young. Shavings, food in their nose and general irritants cause them to sneeze. They seem to grow out of it as they get older.

DB

Quote:
Well, I had them on the metal cage yesterday (Sunday). When i go to pick them up, they all throw a fit, even the buff. They all eat together, mainly at the same time, so i know that he gets up and eats...

Well...if he's able to throw a good fit when you go to pick him up, and he's eating okay, I'd probably just keep an eye on him and not worry to much at this point. My little buff orp seemed to sleep so much the first week or two I had her...now she's still my calmest chick, but she's very active... I might suggest that you be sure to handle them as much as possible on a daily basis so that they get more used to you...it'll make things much easier if you need to treat one in the future, when they're not so small and easy to control...

... they weren't vaccinated....

they are on medicated feed and i have some Duramycin-10 but am debating whether to use it.

Should i?

the buff just seems to sleep a lot

they always fall asleep in my arms when i pick them up

big_smile.png

You may want to vaccinate them. I am not sure when is the cut off age for certain vaccinations. Also, you should have that chick checked out. It may have Mareks.

Chicks do sleep more, but not that much.

DB

It's usually senseless and unproductive to use any medications unless you know for sure that they have something that the medication will actually treat. So I wouldn't use it unless you know for sure it's going to be of use to them.

At 3 weeks they should be fairly hardy.... how long have you had the chicks? Did you just get them? It is possible that they already were exposed to a virus or bacteria and a chill brought symptoms out in the weaker of the chicks. Sometimes they also have genetic defects that are uncontrollable and can cause them to lose vitality over time. Even with the best of circumstances and care you sometimes lose one
sad.png
But I hope this is not the case and that this will pass
smile.png

You might try adding some electrolytes to the water to help strengthen them. I think a small bag of it is around $3 at the farm supply stores.... just make sure it's for chickens and follow the directions on the package for mixing it.

hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom