Sneezing, Diarrhea, Jerking Neck

bramblebuzzacre

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 27, 2012
I live in the hardest hit flood area of tropical storm Debby. My coop was flooded, and my two Speckled Sussex and two Americaunas got wet. I have kept them on my covered porch the last two days, and now they are sneezing with clear discharge, diarrhea and one of my Speckled Sussex is jerking her head and neck every 2-3 minutes. I started Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar in their water yesterday morning, and their stools have gone from watery diarrhea to loose. Help.

Wow, I'm glad you're ok (the flooding, ect) -

Sounds like your birds need antibiotics for a respiratory infection. I'm not sure what to recommend otc, go to the vet and get something.

Maybe someone can chime in and offer an otc product. TSC usually has several different things as well as feed stores. You may try calling them up and asking some questions....

The one that was jerking her head had sour crop, we resolved that. Thanks for the advice. I will get some antibiotic.

Wow, good catch - I haven't experienced sour crop, yet. I've had some overly-full crops that were scary.... The antibiotic will take care of the respiratory infection, but if you have other birds you should isolate the one or they'll all have it.... And, even though they recover, some of the illnesses will be carried for life and can be transferred to other birds. Be careful.

Oh, I just noticed you are new to BYC - Welcome! I hope your birds get well soon...
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom