Sneezing/Discharge

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SilverLacedMom, Jun 26, 2011.

1. SilverLacedMom

SilverLacedMom Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2010
    Hi guys, I have an issue...

I recently got 2 adult hens from a friend, and noticed one was sneezing. I didnt think much about it. Then I noticed a discharge. Now my whole flock has the sneezes and discharge, and have been noticing "baby food" droppings. Orangish-brown and very loose (diareah-like).

The #2 issue has been going on since i got the new birds, but I thought it was stress due to a new home and thought it would go away. And its not EVERY #2 that the birds do, because then it would be quite apparent there is an issue...its more like 5 #2s a day maybe is like that...within the whole flock (and I dont know who is doing it or if its everyone)

My hens that are laying (2 of them) are producing 1 egg per bird per day and have great shells and no issues there with egg laying.

I have alfalfa as bedding (perhaps that is an issue)???

Thats all I can think of...if anyone has any thoughts please share!

Thank you!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    It is normal for all chickens to empty their Ceacal pouches with a stinky brownish orangish color poo several times a day. So I think you are ok there. However, if your flock was not sneezing before the new additions, than it is possible that they gave your flock sometime contagious. It is always best to keep new bird separate from your flock for 30 days as each flock has immunity to things that others don't and could pass disease on to each other, mainly your birds.

So if there is some sort of discharge, it wouldn't hurt to get them all on some sort of antibiotics, like Agrimycin, which covers many respiratory diseases. You can get that at most feed stores. [​IMG]

3. SilverLacedMom

SilverLacedMom Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2010
    Ok I will check for that medicine. No I didnt keep them seperated because I didnt have a place to keep them seperate...so it is problably my fault.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by