Sneezing ducklings- should I be concerned?

BattyAngel

In the Brooder
Mar 9, 2022
Hey there... my babies, Miracle and Summit are about a week old now and yesterday I noticed Miracle sneezed a couple times. Now today Summit is sneezing too and so far they both sneeze fairly frequently.

Should I be concerned?
I've heard that respiratory illness can be somewhat serious. Is there any treatment that you can recommend?

I keep their cage as clean as possible... considering they're ducks and are mess makers by nature. Sometimes I even end up cleaning it twice a day. I don't think it's a cleanliness issue.

Is it possible they have an allergy? We buy bales of alfalfa from the feed store to use for their bedding. They haven't been around any other birds or anything like that.

I'd appreciate any advice you can give. Thanks.

Do they have water deep enough that they can submerge their entire bills? They don't need such water 24/7 but need occasional exposure so that they can clear their nares.

Do they have water deep enough that they can submerge their entire bills? They don't need such water 24/7 but need occasional exposure so that they can clear their nares.
Yes, of course and I do understand that is important. They didn't seem to be sick at all. It truly seems to be sneezing similar to that of a mild allergy. I'm curious if anyone else has experienced having ducks with allergies? I decided to buy alfalfa from a different supplier to find out if there was any improvement or change. They have not been sneezing since we switched, so I'm guessing the cause was a weed of some type that was in the bale from our usual supplier. We still have some of that bale, so I'm considering using some of it when I clean their enclosure to see if the sneezing returns. If so, then I will try introducing each plant separately to find out for sure what plant they’re sensitive to. Neither of their parents have ever shown signs of having any allergies... I guess we shall see.

Back
Top Bottom