sneezing girls

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by aubreynoramarie, Jun 25, 2010.

1. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    i was hanging out with my six week olds in their new run today and noticed that they were all sneezing. i didnt know birds sneezed (shows how much i know). i am confused because its been in the mid eighties all week, do they have...chicken colds?[​IMG]

2. pennie1

pennie1 Redneck Silkie

Aug 17, 2009
    Hiles
    You may want to give them some electrolytes in their water to boost their immune systems. What are you feeding them? If they get a chill from a draft you could have sick birds. Someone with more experience than myself should be able to give you more advice.

Chickens can get respiritory infections, and it could be a symtom of something else.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but the electrolytes will help some.

Good luck [​IMG]

3. aubreynoramarie

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    thank you, theyre on regular starter feed, but they get fruits and veggies too. ill try the electrolytes, do i get those from the feed store?

4. pennie1

pennie1 Redneck Silkie

Aug 17, 2009
    Hiles
    Yeah, you should be able to pick them up there. Otherwise if you have a Farm n Fleet or Fleetfarm, they carry it - or you can find it online.

It's scary to try to give them antibiotics because you don't know for sure what they have. If it's a virus I don't think antibiotics would work. I wish someone with more experience would answer your post. You could try posting in the Diseases Forum. That might work better.

5. pennie1

pennie1 Redneck Silkie

Aug 17, 2009
    Hiles
    Oh, and don't word it the same because you will get one shut down as a duplicate post. I'm a little surprised that someone didn't move this post to that forum. Just a little note for your information.

6. aubreynoramarie

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    thank you very much pennie, i shall try the smarty pants' over there!

7. Peppermint

Peppermint Chillin' With My Peeps

If it's just some tiny little sneezes without nasal discharge, it's probably nothing to worry about. My girls sneeze when they're done dust bathing, and a couple do when they get really excited. Sometimes I swear they sneeze at me to get my attention. [​IMG]

8. aubreynoramarie

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    as cute as i think that is, my girls do get my arms wet when they sneeze [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by