Sneezing Goat W/runny Nose

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by DonnaBelle, Sep 5, 2009.

1. DonnaBelle

DonnaBelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    McIntosh County, OK
    Hi all,

I have a 4 month old Nigerian doe who has a really runny nose and is sneezing. The lady I bought her from this week said she has allergies, but I am wondering if I should take her to the vet Monday?? I am a goat newbee and she is a lovely little girl and I sure don't want to lose her. Does anyone know what this might be.? She seems fine otherwise.

DonnaBelle

2. jojo@rolling acres farm

[email protected] acres farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Nebraska
    It could be a couple of different things - maybe it was brought on by the stress of the move to your house.

I would take her to the vet. I just treated mine with NuFlor, a few of them had runny noses that came on after weaning. NuFlor acts quickly - within hours you can see a difference. Usually I treat again in 48 hours and that takes care of the runny nose and other symptoms. A cough may linger for a couple of days but that is it, soon that is gone as well. Take her to the vet...at least you'll have peace of mind. It'll be worth it - she's worth it! Good Luck! Enjoy your goat...they are wonderful little creatures.

What have you named her? Maybe you could post a picture or two?

3. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    She could have a seed or thorn or something inside of her nose too.

4. S&SPoultryExchange

S&SPoultryExchange Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    Concord, NC
    I was always told worms. But im not big in goats, that would be my better half that knows more about goats.

5. DonnaBelle

DonnaBelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    McIntosh County, OK
    Ok, here's a photo of Annie, she with the runny nose, she looks like a little fawn,

and the other one is Felicia, both are sooooo tame.

Donna [​IMG]nnaBelle

6. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Ohio
    They are adorable!

When you go to the vet, I would take a fecal sample in too. Better to get a full workup.

Good luck with her! [​IMG]

7. CaGoatLady

CaGoatLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2009
    Auburn, CA
    I'm not sure if this breed is prone to allergies, but my Nigerian has them; not so much now that he's about 2 years old, but when he was younger.

8. jojo@rolling acres farm

[email protected] acres farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Nebraska
    Cute and they do look very, sweet! Thanks for the pictures - I think you have a nice looking pen and goat house. Neat job! I hope the vet visit goes well...let us know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by