Sneezing hen reluctant to eat or drink

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by VentuckyChick, Jan 29, 2012.

1. VentuckyChick

VentuckyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    So Cal
    Our first go at chicken keeping is not off to a very happy start. The first two weeks were fine, then one of our black sex links starting sneezing. We didn't think much of it at first until her comb and waddles (I think that's the right term?) starting turning blackish. Then after a week or so our Ancona's comb and waddles started to get pale and she was very quiet so we became concerned that the sneezing wasn't just a thing the sex link does. We bought antibiotics which is the last thing we wanted to do and we've been dosing their water and giving the two sick birds one antibiotic pill per day for four days now. The Ancona seems like she's getting back to her old self, chatty and comb/waddles returning to bright red. The sex link not so much although her comb/waddles are a bit better. We checked her throat for gapeworm (yuck!) as we read that could cause sneezing/open mouth breathing. It also seems like she doesn't want to eat or drink much although she still forages. We checked her for mites, lice, and her rear, and all clear. Are we doing the right thing? What else should we be doing?

Could it be the straw that's giving her problems? Can hens be allergic to dry straw?

Another issue: We bought the chickens on Dec. 31 and they were all around five months old; we bought eight. The guy at the feedstore where we bought them was surprised none of them are laying yet as all of his that are the same age as and siblings of ours are. Again, what are we doing wrong??

We feed organic laying ration and a little organic scratch, high quality stuff from a reputable manufacturer. What do we do?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. VentuckyChick

Oct 4, 2011
    So Cal
    Thanks for the links. It's really just the one hen that's sick, but she does not have runny eyes or nose. Sneezing and not eating or drinking, comb and wattles blackening. She still forages and sometimes stands with eyes closed.

Any other ideas? We are desperate.

4. VentuckyChick

Oct 4, 2011
    So Cal
    UPDATE: Finished the antibiotic course. Five days of antibiotic pills plus antibiotics in the water and she's still sneezing and has darkened comb/wattles. Does anyone else have any ideas???

5. Sblair2015

Sblair2015 Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2015
    Hi there,
    I know your original question is pretty old, but I was wondering if you ever did find out what was wrong?? My chicken is going thru the same thing it sounds like. Did your chicken survive?? What can I do?

Thanks for any tips!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by