Sneezing hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by picnic, Mar 27, 2017.

1. picnic

picnic New Egg

Oct 31, 2016
    First time chicken mum and I'm really worried about one of my hens she's been sneezing since yesterday and early this morning it seemed quite excessive. I cant work out if she's also coughing or just very dramatically sneezing.

She's eating/drinking well and full of energy, seems her normal self. She shares a house with her 3 sisters I've herd a tiny sneeze from two of them but it was very faint and very little.

No discharge or runny eyes either.

Should I be really worried? Any advice would be much appreciated

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Sometimes it's just dust from feed or the environment. Sometimes it is more serious.
    Tell me about the housing. What kind of bedding and how big are the openings for ventilation?

3. picnic

picnic New Egg

Oct 31, 2016
    Thank you for your help My girls currently live in an aviary with an attached house raised from the floor. The complete unit is brand new only 2 months old so spotless in terms of cleaneness. I de-poo them twice daily.
    The enclosure is wired floor(predictor pretection) with an overlay of bark. Plenty of asult course objects for them to play on. The house it's self is very large considering it's only housing 4 Pekins with perches in the roof it has a ventalation window at the back, level with the purches where they spend most of their time during the night.

They have the run of the entire unit throughout the day but we lock them in the house during the night. (Just in case)

I only use straw as bedding in the house, nothing else and all feed is in the outside of the Avery and removed overnight with fresh given each morning.

Never had any issues before just started this weekend, I've had 3 of the girls about a month and the 4th (one that's started sneezing) since January.

I wondering if it pollen related? As it's only come about since the spring weather has set in.

Please let me know your thoughts?

Like I said she's happy in herself, character certainly hasn't changed.. scatty Hattie we call her

4. picnic

picnic New Egg

Oct 31, 2016
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Sel3414

Sel3414 New Egg

Mar 24, 2016
    We had that happened with our chickens. What we did is boil some milk with onions. Once it is done, let it cool down. Then, get some bread and dip it in the milk. Then, feed it to the ones that are sick. Handfeed them if you need to. It actually worked. So, give this a try.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by