Sneezing hens. Administering antibiotics

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TxAg11, Apr 5, 2018.

1. TxAg11

TxAg11 Chirping

Jan 12, 2016
    Houston, TX
    My hens usually don't get sick, but 2 weeks ago one started sneezing and hasn't stopped yet, then yesterday I heard another one start sneezing as well. This is uncommon for my flock. The sneezes were frequent.

I travel a lot for work and don't have time to hand feed each of them some magical herbal suppliment several times a day or do a water-soluble antibiotic every day.
    I know there are injections of antibiotics that lots of people use and I'd like to go that route (yes, I know I'll have to toss my eggs for a couple weeks afterwards.)

I'm curious of:

1. Where to get such a vaccination. Can I order it online? If so, where?
    2. Where to administer the shot on the actual hen
    3. Will this be a one-time-deal or will I have to administer several doses over the course of the week?

Thanks in advance!

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Molds, dry dusty feed/bedding and respiratory illness are some of the more common causes of sneezing. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Is the sneezing accompanied by runny eyes or mucous from the nostrils?

You are asking about 2 separate things - antibiotics and vaccines.
    Sneezing in and of itself - personally, I would not treat unless a bird did this several times a minute and the sneezing prohibited the bird from eating/drinking and it was acting sick.

That said, certain respiratory illnesses do respond to antibiotics like Tylan50, but the medicine would need to be administered to each bird several times a day. If you have a vet that can assist you that would be best since they can prescribe an antibiotic that goes in the water each day. I do not know of an antibiotic that would be administered just one time/one dosage.

If you are wanting a vaccine - you will need to have some testing performed to even know what is the cause of the sneezing. Your Texas state lab system https://tvmdl.tamu.edu/ should be able to give you more info about testing and vaccinations.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: