Sneezing hens, bubbly eye on one of them---help please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by awesomefowl, Jan 26, 2011.

1. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

I noticed today that one of my hens has bubbles coming out of her eye, and she was sneezing like "ACHOO! ACHOO!" Actually, all of them are sneezing slightly, but only Ophelia has bubbly eyes. What is going on??? They have been sneezing occasionally all winter, but not seriously.
    I isolated Ophelia with some antibiotic in her water, but am afraid to medicate the others because of the eggs. I made each of my birds eat some garlic, but what should I do????
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Otherwise the hens are all healthy and laying; should I inject them with Tylan? (I bought some syringes a while ago but haven't used them yet)

Thanks!!!! Ophelia thanks you! (She is worried because she misses the other girls)

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

3. awesomefowl

Oh, that doesn't sound too good....what should I do? Inject them?

4. awesomefowl

She coughs and it sounds "wet" and thick. This is so annoying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  6. awesomefowl

My poor little Ophelia has a very stuffed up nose! She has so much mucous in there!

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I will never recommend that anyone treat a bird with those symptoms and neither would most serious breeders or long time chicken keepers due to the nature of those diseases. For example, CRD that I mentioned previously make the survivors carriers of the disease so they can infect other birds, even if they seem to recover. Also, CRD can be passed down through the egg to the future chicks, not something most folks really should consider dealing with, IMO. It's just a hard reality of this hobby we have to cope with, sadly.

I would rather folks use Oxine in the waterers and to mist the birds on occasion as a preventative rather than like you'd use antibiotics, after an illness sets up in the flock.

8. awesomefowl

So I should kill the poor chicken? I CAN't! [​IMG]

9. awesomefowl

Tomorrow, I will call Cornell.

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I would rather folks use Oxine in the waterers and to mist the birds on occasion as a preventative rather than like you'd use antibiotics, after an illness sets up in the flock.

I agree with you 100% Speckled Hen

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by