SNEEZING HENS........help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Wendy'sChicksRock, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Wendy'sChicksRock

Wendy'sChicksRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Oakland county ,MI
    I have a very small flock and have a few hens that sneeze once in a while.no other symptoms eating and laying fine... should I worry..seems to be increasing...

2. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    I hope someone else with pop in with info, but i had one that started like this a few weeks back, then ending up with bubbles around the eye. I had to cull her and my roo who started showing symptoms earlier this week. [​IMG] From what i have read it is contagious, you will want to seperate the sneezing ones from the rest of the flock.

Just curious have you changed their shavings at all recently? Just want to rule out some sort of dust/allergy.

I wish you the best....

3. Wendy'sChicksRock

Wendy'sChicksRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Oakland county ,MI
    I was wondering if it might be the feed. We get it from a local feed farm that makes it on site and this bag was really fine..I use a layer mash with the grit and oyster shells already in it..and its really ground fine this time ..lots of dust could that be it..??

4. nuttyredhead

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    It could, i would change it asap and see if you notice a difference. I hope it does!!!!!

5. bigathena

bigathena Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2011
    wesley chapel
    I would quarantine the birds and see what happens. You dont want them all to get sick. If it is a respiratory infection, they can get over it but will always be a carrier and infect other birds that may not fair so well.

6. nuttyredhead

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    How are they today?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by