Sneezing Hens

Pinetree Acres

Hatching
Dec 18, 2019
2 of my hens started sneezing and having clear discharge out of their noses. They are both 2 yrs of age. I have a flock of 12 and also 4 ducks. This is the first winter they have been all together. They are free range during the day and have a nice coop at night. But I notice I have to change the bedding more due to the moisture levels being higher now that the ducks took up residency on the floor of the chicken coop. They have all been doing great up to this point. However I was ill myself last week and the kiddos did all the coop work, I know they didn’t do as great of a job cleaning out the wet bedding. They may have just thrown dry stuff on top. Could this have caused the hens to catch colds, or do you think it’s something more? I have no new birds in the last year and everyone else seems completely fine. They are eating and drinking and free ranging during the day fine. Any advice?

Sneezing sometimes can be due to dust in the coop, from feed or bedding. Ammonia odors from droppjng, or mold from wet conditions can cause respiratory issues. If chicken sneeze every few minutes, and sound congested, I would look at a respiratory infection such as infectious bronchitis (IB) or mycoplasma (MG.) MG usually also causes bubbles in the eyes with sticky drainage, and swollen eyelids. Chickens don’t suffer colds, but they get viral, bacteria, or fungal respiratory diseases.

Making sure there is good overhead air ventilation, and keep bedding clean a dry can help to prevent respiratory diseases. I don’t worry too much if I see a chicken sneezing when they are eating, since that can be common. But if they stand around and sneeze often, that may be a disease.

Back
Top Bottom