sneezing in new birds

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Angiebubs, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    Hi,

I recently obtained 2 hens (6 months and 1 yr) as well as 3, eight wk old pullets. The birds were healthy, and the owner is very careful with biosecurity & the rest of her flock was very healthy. However, I've noticed a increase in sneezing amongst them since they've been in the coop....tonight one of the hens sneezed and kinda sprayed clear stuff when she did. This is a new coop (old horse barn) and I had added ag lime, DE, and pine shavings. Could that cause the sneezing?
    Is there any other signs I need to watch for?
    I have 8, five to six week old chicks in another location/brooder. And have been careful to wash hands between (and most of the time changed clothes) and am hoping I have been careful enough with the quarintining/seperation. The brooder babies have been on medicated pellets, the new birds have not.
    Any advice, thoughts? Am I just a new overly worried mom?

2. Angiebubs

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    bump

3. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    Dust will definitely make them sneeze.
    So if the air in their coop is dry or dusty that could be the cooperate.

But chickens should not sneeze alot, have discharge from their nostrils, have issues breathing, have lots of head shaking, diahrea, vomiting, or gurgling, those can be signs of a upper respiratory infection..
    If your chickens have any or a number of these things i would be suspicious of an illness going around.
    During the stress of travel their immune systems can be lowered and they will be more susceptible to bacteria and virus's in the air or environment that they may have been immune too.

4. Angiebubs

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    Thanks Foxypoproxy....We only traveled 10 mins....from breeder to home, but is still a new (Stressful) environment. In all other aspects they seem healthy, eating well, and none of the other symptoms you mentioned. Just the sneezing and increase with it over the past week.

5. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    Quote:Well if that's the only symptom and they seem fine, then i wouldn't worry.
    Just keep an eye on them [​IMG]

6. GoChick

GoChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2010
    Oops posted in wrong thread.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by