Sneezing, Nasal Discharge, Diarrhea, From eggs in the mail.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dandelionbomb, Jan 8, 2017.

1. dandelionbomb

dandelionbomb New Egg

Jan 8, 2017
    My flock was killed by dogs, except one, a couple months back. I felt bad for my lonely chicken and so I bought some eggs. Got them in the mail. Postal Service failed me. Had temp spike in Incubation. One egg hatched. Bantam silkie. I think her vision is damaged. She misses the mark when pecking sometimes and is not very adventurous.

Is currently 5 wks old. Sneezing started day one with some diarrhea. Added probiotics and Vitamin Water. Seemed to clear up but intermittently would sneeze or have a runny stool. No nasal discharge that I could see. I thought maybe she got chilled and just had an infection.

I felt bad for this lonely chick so I got some eggs from a friend. Only one turned out fertile and she hatched when silkie was a month old. I put them together. Maybe I shouldn't have but They get along well. Its really cute. Blackberry the younger chick leads Nugget the older chick around.

Well now Blackberry is exhibiting the same symptoms (minus behaviour) and Nugget is sneezing, watery eyes, and nasal discharge.

I didnt vaccinate for anything. Is it too late to do that? (Well ones probably too late for sure)

They have been in contact with one chicken. Nugget had symptoms before this tho. In the same room at least and briefly in contact when I tried to introduce Nugget to Natalie. Natalie declined the moms job so she went back outside.

The chicks are in a 2' x2' metal rabbit cage with a heat lamp, a roost, and pine shavings.

I have continued the vitamin water. Im really puzzled because it seems like everything that matches should have killed Nugget some time ago. My best guess is getting some diatomis earth for them to roll in and treat with either antibiotic or for that parasite cocc(?).

If i treated for cocc and they didnt have it what would happen?

2. dandelionbomb

dandelionbomb New Egg

Jan 8, 2017
  3. dandelionbomb

dandelionbomb New Egg

Jan 8, 2017
  4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Welcome To BYC

Sneezing, watery eye with nasal discharge are usually signs of respiratory illness. There are several illnesses that have symptoms that you describe, so it's hard to determine which one without testing.

Mycoplasma is probably the most common respiratory illness. Since she was sneezing "day one", this could be what she has. Mycoplasma is contagious, so this is most likely why the other chick is exhibiting symptoms as well.

There is no cure for respiratory illness and the disease will make them carriers for life. Secondary infections can be treated with antibiotics. If you have a vet, they can prescribe some for you. If not, you can try to see if they respond to something like Tylan50. Injectable Tylan 50 dosage is 1 cc or ml per 5 pounds of weight. You can give it orally or as an injection into the breast muscle 1/4 inch deep. Weigh your birds to determine correct dosage.

You can treat Cocci with Corid. Corid is mild and is considered safe to use. If your birds don't have Cocci, it will not hurt them.

Make sure they are eating and drinking well. Staying hydrated is key to recovery. Flush any discharge from their eyes and periodically clean the mucous from their nostrils. If the eyes seem to be swollen, you can apply Vetericyn eye gel or Terramycin ointment to the eyes after they have been flushed.

I recommend that you call your vet, state lab or independent testing facility to see what testing can be performed.

Keep us posted.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  5. dandelionbomb

dandelionbomb New Egg

Jan 8, 2017
    Is myco capable of infecting mammals?

Thank you so much for your reply. I'm pretty confident it's myco but Im going to call the vet tomorrow.

I am immunocomprised. If it's myco what would you do?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    You need to speak with your doctor about your concerns.

I encourage you to have some testing performed on your birds, contacting you vet is a good idea. There are also state and independent labs that you can take/send a sample for testing as well.

Take some time to do some research/reading on various poultry diseases, this will allow you to make a sound, educated decision which is right for you.

Here is some reading to get you started:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
    http://www.dummies.com/home-garden/hobby-farming/raising-chickens/respiratory-illness-in-chickens/
    http://ucanr.edu/sites/poultry/files/201395.pdf

Independent lab testing:
    http://www.zoologix.com/

7. dandelionbomb

dandelionbomb New Egg

Jan 8, 2017
    Thank you for your help. Those links were very informative. I will let you know what I find out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by