Sneezing/open mouth breathing/dark comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TeamChaos, Mar 9, 2012.

1. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    My 2 yr old jersey giant is in rough shape. She's breathing w. an open mouth, sneezing and her comb is darker than her sister's. She's had this going on for a few days, but today her feathers were rumpled and she wasn't interested in scratching and pecking like the other ladies. I brought her in, gave her some tylan and I've been watching her. She's eating wet foods (melon, sweet corn) with no problem, but dry food (millet, seeds) make her cough and sneeze. She'll drink water but only when I prompt her. I can feel a bump in her throat that moves, but I haven't had a chance to check if any of my other chickens have that. She doesn't smell bad, no bubbles in her eyes, her nostrils aren't especially cruddy, she's pooping normally. Any ideas?

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Sounds like a respitory illness. Keep up the Tylan. Are you doing injections... How much and how often. I have also used Wal brand children's cold and flu med. listen to her chest for wheezing...... Check her mouth for puss or mucus lodged in there. If you put pressure on the roof of her mouth, does mucus come out her nose? Do a search on respitory illness in chickens so you know all what you are dealing with....

3. TeamChaos

Nov 8, 2009
    She has gotten 1CC of tylan200 today so far. Her chest isn't rattling, nor is she gurgling; no puss or mucus in her mouth. If it's Infectious laryngotracheitis, would I feel the plug?

4. TeamChaos

Nov 8, 2009
    Also, what does the cold medicine do for her?

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I'm not so sure it's a respiratory issue. The fact that you stated she's eating wet foods could possibly indicate that they are easier to swallow rather than the dry food you are giving her, as well as her darker comb indicating a possible lack of oxygen...she might have something stuck in her throat or windpipe, having a tough time breathing. (Something mightve went down the wrong way) Sneezing or shaking her head could be a way to loosen or dislodge whatever it is. If it's stuck in her throat, try giving her a couple of eyedropperfuls of olive oil, then gently massage her in a downward motion from her neck to her crop. She might puke out whatever is stuck or it might go into her crop. Let's hope it didnt go down her windpipe, that wouldnt be good news.
    If this fails, it could very well be a respiratory disease and the tylan will treat it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by