Sneezing/open mouth breathing/small, crunchy crop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hockeygirl56, Mar 16, 2015.

1. hockeygirl56

hockeygirl56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Allenton, MI
    I have a 4 year old BO that has been having some breathing issues. For about a week she's been sneezing, shaking/scratching her head, and open mouth breathing on exhale. It seems worse at night on the roost bar or if I pick her up. I can hear rattling in her chest. She is still active throughout the day and seems to be eating well. I started her on Tetracycline a few days ago. I've been monitoring her crop size since she seems to be getting skinnier, and it's always on the smaller side. Tonight I noticed her crop seemed hard, and when i squished it around, feels gritty. I'm guessing that's grit in there and a lack of food. She seems like she has a good appetite but maybe she's not ingesting as much as it seems she is. Does anyone have any suggestions other than the Tetracycline I have her on?

2. hockeygirl56

Apr 21, 2011
    Allenton, MI
    Anyone have experience with this?

3. hockeygirl56

Apr 21, 2011
    Allenton, MI
    Please anyone that can help? She refused scrambled eggs today so I know it's not looking good.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Crops can slow down when they are sick, but she also could have an impacted gizzard or crop. She sounds like she has a serious chronic respiratory disease such as MG, coryza, ILT, or others. Tylan 50 injectable can be given orally or by injection, and is probably better than tetracycline in the water. Dosage is 1 ml daily for 3-5 days. Check her crop in the morning after she has slept, because crops can be full of pellets or grain in the evening after eating all day.

5. hockeygirl56

Apr 21, 2011
    Allenton, MI
    Is that dose ok for both oral and injectable? Won't hurt to give when she's been getting Tetracycline? Her crop has been feeling the same throughout the day. She has had bouts of sneezing and what could have been blood by her nostrils in the past, but never affected like this before. She's my lap chicken...I don't want to lose her :(

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Blood from the nostrils or beak can be common in ILT, a viral respiratory disease. Antibiotics such as Tylan and tetracycline drugs may not affect a virus, but can help prevent secondary bacterial diseases. ILT can be a reportable illness in most areas, and your state vet may be avle to help you if you want to get the bird tested. With Tylan 50, I would give it orally for 5 days, or give it as an injection for. 3 days, but not more than 5.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  7. hockeygirl56

Apr 21, 2011
    Allenton, MI
    If it were viral, would I be seeing other birds in my flock with symptoms too? Everyone else seems to be fine. Thanks for your help!

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by