Sneezing Polish Chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ericka, Jun 22, 2010.

1. ericka

ericka Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2010
    arizona
    I'm freaking out! I lost a few day old chick yesterday and now today I've noticed that my 8-10 wk. Polish is sneezing regularly (may even be congested in the chest). I noticed my Cochin sneezing last week but everything has seemed fine since then. What should I do? I switched their feed from organic to medicated yesterday. They are outside in 90 - 95 degree shade, on compressed pine at night, free-range during the day. They seems to be eating, drinking and pooping normally.

Update: I just noticed my Cochin sneezing again. All my birds are under 12 weeks, I believe.

help [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  2. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    If your switching their food, make sure you mix it half and half to gradually switch to the other food. If your losing them and they are szeezing, I'm thinking you should give them antibotics. Give them vitamines as well.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  3. ericka

Jun 21, 2010
    arizona
    What type of antibiotics can be used to treat sneezing? Will I need to take them to the vet to get a prescription?

4. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    I get my antibotics from a farm feed store. I read your post again and see that you lost day old chicks. That of course happens for many reasons. As for the sneezing for the polish chick that is older, if there is no other syptoms, runny nose, discharge from the eyes, its possible that one will be fine. They can get dust up there nose from the shavings or just going through something. I have one that is 10 weeks old that has been sneezing for a few weeks, however, she is still eating and drinking and playing. Just someting she is going through. For you day old chicks, don't use any shavings for them in the first week, I read that they don't know what to eat at first and eat the shavings, and it kills them. I lost two, and I often wonder if that is why. I read to put that small square wire on top of newspaper so they dont slip. You will have clean them more often.

5. ericka

Jun 21, 2010
    arizona
    I figured out how to search the topics a little better and I've decided to give the flock duramycin from my local feed store. I'm too paranoid to wait this out. Losing the chick was traumatic and I don't want to delay the treatment of a possible respiratory illness.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by