Sneezing Red Sex Link Chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by OkChickens, Feb 20, 2011.

1. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    I bought 25 RSL that are about 9 months old about a month ago and they were really healthy when I bought them. We had a huge snow storm a week or so ago and 32 inches of snow in a week and temps as low as -25. I put a heat lamp in the coop but the winds were blowing with gusts over 60 mph. With the winds blowing like that my coop was fairly drafty. About 2 weeks ago I noticed a lot feathers on the floor and I noticed about 7-8 of them are loosing feathers now. A few days ago I noticed 4-5 of them are sneezing. The chickens that are loosing there feathers are the ones that are sneezing. I gave them Duramisen in the water for the past few days and it has helped but its not fixing the problem.

-Nate

2. TheFarmMama

TheFarmMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Stafford, VA
    Sorry to hear you've got some sick babies. Duramycin is a very weak antibiotic. You might want to try some water soluble Tylan-you should be able to find it at your local feed store. The directions are on the back of the bottle. If you can't find the water soluble, you can give it orally via syringe. It works wonders for respiratory issues. You can also put some VetRX on their beaks and under their wings which will also help. Hope they get better soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by