sneezing, runny nose, and raspy breathing.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kerrynnchicken, Oct 31, 2013.

1. kerrynnchicken

kerrynnchicken New Egg

Jun 5, 2013
    Maryville, Tn
    I am new to the chicken keeping and I traded my rooster for two hens, which are now sick and made two of my other hens sick. They have sneezing, raspy breathing and one of the new hens has a nunny nose. I now know I should have quanantined them but it's too late now. I bought tylan 50 and gave the sick ones 1/2 cc today and put some other meds in their drinking water that the co-op sugguested. Is there anything else I need to do or will this work? Really upset that my girls are sick. :(

2. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    How did you administer the Tylan 50 and how long have you been doing it? How old are the birds? What other meds are you giving them?

3. kerrynnchicken

kerrynnchicken New Egg

Jun 5, 2013
    Maryville, Tn
    I injected the tylan 50, today is the first day and my chickens are all under 7 year old with the exception of the two new hens, they are 18 months

4. kerrynnchicken

kerrynnchicken New Egg

Jun 5, 2013
    Maryville, Tn
    I also put tetroxy HCA-280 in their water

5. Michael Apple

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Okay. If you have the ones being treated with Tylan separate from the ones being given tetracycline in the water that's fine. I wouldn't recommend those two antibiotics being given to birds at the same time.
    Are you giving the 1/2 cc of Tylan 50 under the skin on the back of the neck? For birds over 5 lbs it is recommended to give an additional 1/2 cc shot in the breast muscle. It is a five day treatment done once a day.

6. kerrynnchicken

kerrynnchicken New Egg

Jun 5, 2013
    Maryville, Tn
    ok thank you! I just saw I put 7 year old, no my chickens are under 7 months old. I have no way to separate so I'll take the stuff out of the water for now. I injected teh 1/2 cc in the breast,

7. kerrynnchicken

kerrynnchicken New Egg

Jun 5, 2013
    Maryville, Tn
    Can I still eat the eggs or throw them away till the cold and meds are stopped??

8. Michael Apple

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Wait two weeks after the last dose to eat eggs.

9. kerrynnchicken

kerrynnchicken New Egg

Jun 5, 2013
    Maryville, Tn
    Day #2 still no better, now all 5 of my hens are sick, the two newer ones are slowly getting better. Hope they all get over this!

10. Michael Apple

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by