sneezing silkie

getreal

Songster
9 Years
May 9, 2014
Upper Peninsula of MI
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) 1 year old silkie hen
2) What is the behavior, exactly. she has broody for a week. found her laying on the floor with wings out. sneezing, coughing? mouth breathing.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? 3 rd day
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? no
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. no
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. none that I know of
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. she's been broody so she hasn't moved around much
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. when I brought her inside. she had a huge normal poop. and smelly. last night same thing.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? diluted vet RX wiped on her head and neck. straight vet RX on her beak and under her wings. I put sulfadimethoxine powder in her water. but she's not drinking very much. it's all I have on hand.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? need to treat myself.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use small coop of wood rubber stall mat on floor. straw on floor. all my silkies are in their own coop.

Is it possible to give the sulfadimethoxine powder orally? like a paste or something like that?

Have you had any other outbreaks of respiratory disease in your flock in the past? Sulfadimethoxine is mainly used to treat coryza, coccidiosis, and fowl cholera. It needs to be taken with water, and the dosage needs to be accurate since it can affect the kidneys.

Does she smell bad around ber face? Can you see any bubbles or foam in her eyes? Since there are several different respiratory diseases, some from viruses or bacteria, antibiotics may or may not help, and sulfa usually is better for coryza. If she has a virus, no antibiotic will help, ias it has to run it’s course. If she has MG (mycoplasma) Tylan, denagard, or Baytril would be better for treatment. MG does not smell bad, and usually bubbles in eyes, or swelling around an eye may be seen.

Keep her warm enough if she is chilling. Offer fluids as often as she will take them. Here is some reading about sulfa:
http://www.poultrydvm.com/drugs/sulfadimethoxine

https://www.drugs.com/vet/sulfadimethoxine-concentrated-solution-12-5.html

when my first hen went broody she sat and sat (and sat) in the box, not leaving. I closed off the boxes and put her on the roosts at night until it stopped! she was exhibiting similar symptoms to what you are talking about. From then on, when the hens go broody I usually go out once or twice a day and take them out of the box and put them at the farthest end of the run so they have to go through the dirt bath, pass the water, food and calcium/grit stations, and normally they stop and do normal chicken things!! and, they snap out of it sooner :clap
Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom