Sneezing Silkie

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by E.M. Silkies, Dec 21, 2010.

1. E.M. Silkies

E.M. Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    Georgia
    Hi all,
    I have a Silkie roo that has been sneezing. He seems healthy until he sneezes. What should I do for him? Is it allergies? Is he cold? Right now he is in his own private cage in our garage and at night I put a blanket over his cage. What's wrong?
    Thanks!

2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    It could be any number of things. Any other symptoms like a runny nose or weepy eyes? You were smart to separate him and keep him warm and dry. i do that immediately if any of my chickens sneeze or show any signs of distress. Sometimes they just get something up their nostril and will sneeze until it gets blown out. But watch and make sure it doesn't progress. Any respiratory issue is best treated with Tylan 50. You can get it as an injectable, which can also be given orally, or a water soluble to put in the water. It's a good medication to have it on hand.

But at this point i would wait and see how he's doing tomorrow. i've had a chicken sneeze, sneeze, sneeze. i brought her inside and put a heat lamp on her, worried it was something serious. But she was just fine in a couple hours. She must have gotten something up her nose.

Hope he's doing better in the morning, and please report back with any additional symptoms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by