Sneezing silkie!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dsfrango, Jan 3, 2012.

1. dsfrango

dsfrango Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Stafford Springs
    Yesterday I noticed my silkie hen is having some issues. I'm thinking something respiratory. I looked for some info but nothing to helpful. She sneezes literally every 30 seconds. She is still eating but I'm am really worried. What could I do? I have antibiotics but not sure if that would be the best method. Please advise me. Thanks

2. LoveNewChicks

LoveNewChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2011
    I don't know,
    My Coop
    my pullet popcorn was sneezing and she got better from
    1.vineger in her water
    2.crushed garlic and put it in her food/water
    (her eggs might taste bad but it works!)

3. BamaSilkies

BamaSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    NE Alabama
    I had a few sneezing issues with mine so added ACV to the water and it cleared right up. I think its this crazy weather.

4. dsfrango

Sep 12, 2011
    Stafford Springs
    Thanks for the tips, I'm actually gonna try the vinegar thing. I'm praying it works cuz she was my first chicken ever

5. LoveNewChicks

LoveNewChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2011
    I don't know,
    My Coop
    how old is she?

6. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Is it just the sneezing? Does it sound like a normal chicken sneeze or does it sound wet? About a month ago, right after our nights got really cold here, my rooster started sneezing, it turned into a wet cough, then rattly/gurgly breathing. The whole flock ended up coming down with whatever it was. I showed a couple of them to my vet, he gave me enough Baytril to treat them all and everybody cleared right up.

Just watch her carefully, if it morph's into more then just a sneeze she'll need some meds to make sure she doesn't get a nasty infection.

7. dsfrango

Sep 12, 2011
    Stafford Springs
    Shes about 9 months old and yeah its a constant sneezing. It does sound a little wet and raspy when she breathes. She keeps extending her neck when she breaths. Out of my 19 chickens shes the only one:hit

8. cjh0907

cjh0907 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2011
    Western Mass
    I had this happen to one of my silkies. I hope its not as serious as mine was. I ended up losing 2 of my silkies and it somehow spread to my other chicken coop were i lost 2 of my laying hens. It started as just sneezing and and turned into my whole flock sounding terrible with breathing. I ended up calling to get them tested. keeping my fingers crossed! i did end up giving them medicine that i was recommended and it seemed to help but didnt knock it out completely.

9. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Mine started with just one, my rooster. I isolated him immediately but within a week the hens started coming down with it even though I had started putting Duramycin in the water immediately, hoping to prevent it. Eventually they all had it. Last one to come down with it is finishing up her 10 day course of Baytril from the vet, I didn't loose any of them. I kept them warm, put a heat lamp in their coop at night and most of them seemed to recover pretty quickly. My rooster was the worst, his breathing sounded like an old coffee pot percolating! Kept him in the garage with a heat lamp for a few days.

10. basetrimmer

basetrimmer New Egg

Jun 2, 2013
    please do not abbreviate names of medicine I am a very beginner with chickens I have 1 silkie my little house pet and am very worried about her constant sneezing now what should I do for her now please help us thank you, Paul and silkie sue

NW Chickadee likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by