1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Sneezing silkie

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by eduedp, Apr 1, 2015.

1. eduedp

eduedp In the Brooder

Apr 1, 2015
    I bought a white silkie from a local farmer and she was very quiet and sad. I look inside her feathers and it was infested with flea or louse, idk.
    After I gave her a bath and dried with hairdryer, most of them started to get off her. 3 days later, I gave her another bath with cat/dog flea shampoo, this killed all the fleas.
    After some days I noticed she started sneezing. I thought this would pass, but a month has passed and she is sneezing a lot and have runny nose.
    I live in Brazil, it's Summer, temperature is varying from 65ºF to 85ºF.
    Is she ok? What can I do? I don't think its normal. She seems to be ok, though.

[​IMG]

2. TNchickies

TNchickies Chirping

Oct 7, 2013
    Is she your only chicken? It could be a respiratory disease, but i wouldn't worry too much about it as long as she is doing okay besides the sneezing/ runny nose. Antibiotics can be used if symptoms persist, but a veterinarian's opinion is always your best bet. Good luck!

3. eduedp

eduedp In the Brooder

Apr 1, 2015
    I have a red sex link too. She is older and never sneezes.
    I was told to squeeze a little lemon or garlic in her water for 3 days, and repeat 2 weeks after.

4. TNchickies

TNchickies Chirping

Oct 7, 2013
    Okay, the lemon juice should help. If this is a respiratory disease however, the RSL might catch it too. I would watch the RSL for symptoms as well. It will be your tell-tell sign as to wether this is a resp. disease. If it doesn't spread, then it might be tick/flea/louse related.

5. eduedp

eduedp In the Brooder

Apr 1, 2015
    When she starts, she is sneezing like 3 times a minute or more, and keep sneezing for hours. Then she stops the rest of the day.

6. Suzie

Suzie Crowing

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    When you mentioned a runny nose..is it pure clear liquid or thick...?

Any smell from the beak?

Any rattling noise from the chest ?

What type of bedding do you use ?

Any further information you can supply may help to determine the cause..

7. eduedp

eduedp In the Brooder

Apr 1, 2015
    Most liquid, but it dries and form a crust on her beak.

No smell from the beak.

No noise from the chest.

They sleep together inside a "masonry barbecue hole"
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Climate here in Brazil is wet, but she stays in a well ventilated place.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by