1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

sneezing,swollen eyes, fowl smell

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by annabeejoy, Sep 14, 2015.

1. annabeejoy

annabeejoy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2015
    [​IMG]
    this was 2 days ago yesterday both eyes were swollen shut, I have 10 more chickens with the same thing but after 2-3 days theirs eyes look fine again all are eating and drinking

any ideas?

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Your birds have Infectious Coryza. Coryza is like a bacterial, really bad "cold." I've read that Tylan 200 is suppose to help. It's available at TSC if you have one in your area.

3. ManHunterUSMC

ManHunterUSMC Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2014
    Southeast Georgia
    Out of 25 I just had to cull 16 of my RIWs Saturday... They couldn't breath and I could not risk it spreading any more. The rest are isolated until I can get it under control but is their waste or feathers possibly infected with it too? Should I bleach the ground and laying boxes. They were new to my land and I bought them Thursday. I hope it doesn't spread

4. Granny368W

Granny368W Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2015
    How do they catch this disease?

5. ManHunterUSMC

Oct 25, 2014
    Southeast Georgia
    From what I'm told it's airborne... It's hard to think all my pretty Barred Rocks and my gorgeous too slept by them for two nights... Lord know what's going to happen now...

6. Granny368W

Jun 14, 2015
    Where do you live? I wonder if it's more prevalent in certain areas.. I'm so sorry for your loss....

7. ManHunterUSMC

Oct 25, 2014
    Southeast Georgia
    This time it was pretty sad... Not counting the money... Just the amount of chickens I had too cull was horrible.

Southeast GA

8. Granny368W

Jun 14, 2015
    So sorry....I'm wondering if there is anything you could do before you get anymore chickens...

9. ManHunterUSMC

Oct 25, 2014
    Southeast Georgia
    I have no idea I'm bleaching everything once they get out in the morning and I'll be closing the coop up for the day

10. annabeejoy

annabeejoy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2015
    thank you!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by