Sneezing *videos*

bhawk-23

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Apr 12, 2020
East Central Illinois
I received these two young pullets, not positive about age but hatched in September she thought, because they were being bullied awful by the hens and roosters. During isolation time Tico was sneezing some but Taco was not. Stayed consistent for 2 weeks with no progression for Tico and Taco never started so I let them out. They came from an indoor coop and were caged to keep safe so I was thinking some fresh air might help. Fast forward 2 weeks and she is still sneezing. But no other chicken has started. She looks ok, eats like crazy, no discharge, breathing just fine, no wheezing, growing well and has even started becoming more social during the day. I brought the 2 back inside today for more observation but.....what gives? Please share thoughts. Thank you!

Bumping up, I'd like to get these girls back outside as soon as possible. If it's kinda just her thing since there are no other symptoms and no other birds getting sick I can stop worrying maybe? 🤷
Thank you!

I had a young rooster that did this as well. No wheezing or mucus or anything. Went on for over a week so tried antibiotics for 5 days. The sneezing didn't improve so I got rid of him. Could have tried a different medication but I wasn't willing to risk him possibly spreading whatever it was. I realized he might not even be contagious but wasn't worth the risk and at the end of the day something had to have been wrong with him. If your dead set on keeping Tico I would look into some medications or even home remedies and give one a shot.

Any info on meds? Would amoxicillin work? I have that on hand. And she is tiny! I think a Dutch Bantam?

@Wyorp Rock
@aart

I think you both know dosing amoxicillin. She is much smaller than the other chickens so I'm assuming the 250mg is too high.

I had a young rooster that did this as well. No wheezing or mucus or anything. Went on for over a week so tried antibiotics for 5 days. The sneezing didn't improve so I got rid of him. Could have tried a different medication but I wasn't willing to risk him possibly spreading whatever it was. I realized he might not even be contagious but wasn't worth the risk and at the end of the day something had to have been wrong with him. If your dead set on keeping Tico I would look into some medications or even home remedies and give one a shot.
Thank you for your experience input.
I'm not ready to off her. These 2 are extremely bonded. Hatched together, hid together, caged together and now that they are here and always together. If one gets separated they call for each other until reunited. I know Taco would survive, but I'd like to avoid this stress if possible.

Does not make sense though. Four weeks and no change. Plus Taco is still fine and the other two Serama pullets they roost with are not sneezing. I do watch all four at night while roosting to be sure they are warm and to listen for any new sneezing that may have started.
I picked them up December 14th, quarantined til Xmas and just brought back in yesterday morning.

Thanks again!

This may be a sort of allergy. When humans have a stubborn allergic reaction to something and we wish to figure out what is triggering it, we go through a process of elimination. I see straw in their crate. That could contain mold spores that are irritating Tico's respiratory tract. Try substituting sand for the straw.

If you are feeding dry feed, try moistening it to eliminate dust as dusty feed will cause a chicken to sneeze as they eat it.

I believe that you're likely looking at an allergic reaction, not a respiratory disease. I don't think an antibiotic at this time is justified.

I don’t think antibiotics are warranted here. I would agree that this may be an environmental issue. Look at her nostrils closely for any feed or drainage stuck in the nostrils. Infectious bronchitis virus can cause frequent sneezing for around a month, but it spreads to the other birds quickly. IB virus does not respond to antibiotics. Amoxicillin is not affective against respiratory diseases anyway.

If it were me, I would put them outside in a dog crate with food and water, and start the integration process. Dust in feed and in bedding are frequent irritants.

Back
Top Bottom