Sneezing/Wheezing Chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by brownrhi, Jan 30, 2017.

1. brownrhi

brownrhi Just Hatched

Jan 25, 2017
    Michigan
    I have noticed some sneezing from my birds last week. It is winter here and they're in the coop most everyday unless the snow melts enough to allow them to want to come outside. Today I checked the chickens and opened the door in case they wanted to come out and one seemed to be making strange sounds. I would call it a loud wheezing/squawking sound. It was quite alarming and I am scared this bird is sick with something... this is our first year with the birds(we got them last May) and first winter. First sickness as well. I am not sure what the hen has, or what to give her to make her better. I am hoping to go to tractor supply today and help her ASAP but I will need your help by telling me what you might know from experience.

She seems to be eating still but she just doesn't seem right and the sound she makes tells me that. Her eyes and nose look okay, not swollen or crusty. I have been reading some stuff online but it is overwhelming and confusing me!

Online I have read about these medications:
    Tylan
    Baytril (enrofloxacin)
    Duramycin
    VetRx

If anyone has any information about them or experience on which they've used or would suggest I would be so very thankful!!

2. brownrhi

brownrhi Just Hatched

Jan 25, 2017
    Michigan
    I have a video of the hen making the sound.... just trying to figure out how to post it for anyone who's able to help me with this.

3. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    I'd go with the Tylan.How often do you clean the coop?Birds with respiratory diseases will remain carriers for life and when in times of stress the disease will come back.

Dosage for Tylan

Tylan 50 injectable orally 1/4 cc bantum, 1/2 cc standard once a day for five days.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  4. brownrhi

brownrhi Just Hatched

Jan 25, 2017
    Michigan
    We clean out the wood flakes once a week and put New in. I think it was a ventilation issue which we fixed but obviously too late since this birds seems sick. Thanks for your help.

5. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Your welcome.The Tylan will be labeled under cattle but can be used for poultry.Good luck!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Upload your video to YouTube or Vimeo, then post the link.

1 person likes this.
  7. brownrhi

brownrhi Just Hatched

Jan 25, 2017
    Michigan
    So I now have the URL's to upload the 2 short videos I took of the chicken I suspect is sick but really have no clue. Tell me what you think. Notice how all the other birds are just being quiet and making small, regular clucking sounds.... I don't believe I have ever heard my chickens make such long, drawn out, raspy-like sounds like the one hen is doing today. There are small sneezes too, not sure if I caught them in the video :(

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  8. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    That sounds normal.Just chicken noises.Thats what they do when they are bored/mad....How often do they sneeze?

EDIT to add- She looks healthy to me bright comb,Alert,Interested in food.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  9. brownrhi

brownrhi Just Hatched

Jan 25, 2017
    Michigan
    It does sound kind of normal but I think I need a longer video. She sneezes every few minutes it seems like. Every 5 at least.

10. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    You should clean the poop every day or two.Make sure there is no dust in the pine shavings.You can put a pecking block down,Throw some BOSS in there bedding,Mealworms,Suet cake,Hang a apple,Put a mirror in the coop,Letting them outside would be very good just throw some straw down on the snow and they will venture out.If she is the only one sneezing,I would bring her inside and give her tuna and eggs in a dark/warm/clean environment.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by