Sneezing with runny noses - who to believe?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mystprism, Apr 3, 2018.

1. mystprism

mystprism In the Brooder

Feb 14, 2018
    Since noticing my chicks (~6wks) were sneezing 6 days ago I've done lots of reading about causes and cures. It seems the advice ranges from "do nothing, they're probably fine" to "kill them all in a cleansing blaze and sprinkle holy water and bleach on anything they touched". I'm not sure what to believe or what to do. As I said it's been 6 days since I first noticed the sneezing and today is the first day I noticed a little clear trail coming out of a nose. There's no eye discharge, no swelling, no particularly bad odor. Obviously no reduction in egg production at this age. They're on a pine shaving bedding which is quite dusty but it's a well ventilated coop and they spend a good deal of time outside in their run. They seem to be eating and drinking well and they're happy to dash around in their run so no lethargy.

So please take an opinion and make your case:
    1. Do nothing, it's probably just the dust.
    2. Give 'em antibiotics.
    3. Start sharpening the ax and blessing the water.

2. SarahLadd

SarahLadd Chirping

Jun 23, 2017
    Minneapolis, MN
    As someone teetering on the precipice of the cleansing flame and holy water, I wish you luck.

3. mystprism

mystprism In the Brooder

Feb 14, 2018
    Just out of curiosity how long did it take from when you first noticed something amiss to where you are now?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Where did you get the chicks—a breeder, a feed store, or in the mail from a hatchery? If they were from a farm or if you hatched them, there could be a chance of them being exposed to MG or infectious bronchitis from a carrier chicken. MG or mycoplasma can also be transferred through hatching eggs. I would try to keep dust down in feed and bedding, and prevent water spills which can lead to mold. Mold can cause brooder pneumonia (aspergillosis.) I would try to get them tested if sneezing becomes constant, or they seem lethargic or are not drinking. There is a good article on respiratory diseases such as infectious bronchitis, MG, coryza, ILT and others from the University of Flordia if you .google “common poultry diseases.”

5. mystprism

mystprism In the Brooder

Feb 14, 2018
    I got them a feed store within their first week. Would mycoplasma sit dormant for 5 weeks if they got it from their mother?

Also, you say "if sneezing becomes constant". Is it your understanding that the sneezing may taper off and go away on its own? Some articles seem to suggest that if they're sneezing they have an illness they can't fight on their own.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sneezing occasionally can be normal. A chicken with infectious bronchitis virus will sneeze every few minutes, and it usually spreads to others quickly. Mycoplasma (MG) causes sneezing, lethargy, and may cause bubbles in eyes, or watery eyes. If the chicks sneeze and still look active alert and feeding, then I wouldn’t worry too much.

If a chick comes from a hatchery or feed store, they have less chances of carrying a respiratory disease than coming from a breeder or farm with other chickens. MG that is passed through a hatching egg may not cause symptoms until chicks are 3-4 weeks old.

7. SarahLadd

SarahLadd Chirping

Jun 23, 2017
    Minneapolis, MN
    I brought my two babies home March 23rd. The EE was held at the facility for 5 days until the FBCM arrived making my best guess at the EE being about 7 days old when she came to me, and the FBCM 2 days old. The EE, which is showing the most symptoms, started snicking on Friday. Saturday, the day before Easter Sunday, I got up in the morning to check the birds and fidget with them for socialization and noticed one eye was coated in foam, and she was coughing every couple minutes, with the cough sounding mucous-y/wet. Coughing popped the bubbles in her eyes and made new ones. The eye bubbles lasted 48 hours, as of today, there are no eye bubbles, and the cough persists but the frequency is down to every ten minutes or so, and in "clusters" (she'll cough, a few seconds will pass, she'll cough again, and again, then stop). The cough sounds "dry" now. Both birds are uncharacteristically sleepy. They spend almost all their time sitting with their eyes closed. Being startled or prodded only rouses them for a few seconds before they sit back down again and wilt. I've been watching them for an hour now, and a few more things I've observed in the EE is beak wiping for seemingly no good reason, and head shaking like there's bugs buzzing around her face. I'm not sure what these behaviors mean, but the FBCM isn't doing either of these things. over this last hour of observation, they have gotten up to eat and drink. They're back to sleeping.

For clarity, that would mean the bird exhibiting symptoms is about 19 days old today, as a best guess, or 2 weeks 5 days. She'd have been 15 days old at the onset of noticeable symptoms.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    mystprism likes this.
  8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sara, did you mean you brought them home March 23rd?

9. SarahLadd

SarahLadd Chirping

Jun 23, 2017
    Minneapolis, MN
    Yeah, my bad, I'll edit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: