Sneezing yday, today not. Antibiotics?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by True Grit, May 1, 2011.

1. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

1) What type of bird , age and weight. EE 11 MONTHS, DID NOT WEIGH
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. VIOLENT SNEEZING YDAY, THEN WHEEZING, NO SNEEZING TODAY BUT A LITTLE BIT WHEEZY, NO RUNNY NOSE
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? "
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? NOT SO FAR
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. NO
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. DO NOT KNOW
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. LITTLE BIT OF LAYER/MEALWORMS/BOSS/SPROUTS SHE IS DRINKING A LITTLE
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. NORMAL
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? I STARTED HER ON DURAMYCIN YDAY AND USED SOME VETRX ON HER
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? HOPE TO TREAT MYSELF
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. NA
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use PINE SHAVINGS IN A DOG CRATE

My question is, should I continue the antibiotic now that I've started it even though I haven't heard a sneeze since yesterday? Did I jump the gun on the antibiotic? Thanks!

2. kyrose

kyrose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    Quote:i usually dont use an antbiotic unless they are have trouble breathing.since you have started the meds i would continue.they say its not good to stop them early..

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I agree with kyrose that you shouldnt stop the antibiotics too early. Doing so could cause a relapse, then later on down the road, possible ineffectiveness causing you to buy a different antibiotic for retreatment. Good luck.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

For future reference, don't dose with antibiotics for simple sneezing. Most of the time, it's just environmental. And most respiratory diseases that people medicate for are ones that make them carriers for life, even if they seem to recover, and antibiotics won't fix that.

Sometimes, they scarf up food so fast, that something gets into the windpipe and they sound like they're wheezing. Had that happen with a hen once and it scared me to death till a knowledgeable person told me (after hearing her over the phone) that it was most likely a ruptured air sac or she had something stuck in her windpipe. Sure enough, it was gone by morning.

5. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    If I hear sneezing I look for environmental issues first since chickens get things in their nose also. I don't use antibiotics. I won't unless I know it will work for what is wrong. Throwing antibiotics at things is a good way to start super bugs. Look and see if it was dusty could she had food in her nose, is the coop clean or does it have a smell. Good luck.

6. WhetzelMomma

WhetzelMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2009
    Canyonville
    I feed crumbles, and all my chickens sneeze when they eat... not all at once, but someone ALWAYS eats too fast and ends up in a sneezing fit. lol

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

And when they try to get food before the others, especially grains, they always start a sneezing fit. Silly things try to choke themselves!

8. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

I started her late yesterday on the Duramycin so was hoping I could stop today without creating resistance but to be on the safe side I'll continue for the 7 days if you think it is too dangerous to stop now. They have been free ranging in the back yard, coop is clean, no dust around, it rained in the morning yesterday. She could have gotten something up her nose but I didn't see anything and she continued on sneezing for quite a while. It was the residual wheezing that made me give her the antibiotic. In my chicken class I was told that by the time you notice a sick chicken it is usually too late so I was probably too quick. [​IMG] thanks for your advice.

9. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    I understand, please be careful with antibiotics this is why there has been problems with super bugs. I don't treat my grand daughters ear infections with antibiotics and they cleared up on there own and they never got it again. Plus with respiratory problems in chickens they are virus so no antibiotics will work. Next time watch for 24 hours even so far as putting the chicken in another area like a hospital wing. The do a search of symptoms I do hear my chickens sneeze after they have been free ranging then come in for a drink they seem to sneeze for a while guess they got the water down the wrong pipe. I am not sure what you should do know about the antibiotics hopefully some one with more knowledge will post. good luck and remember we are all learning here. [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:x 2. I had to do minor surgery on my Red Star the other day. She somehow snorted a crumble and it worked its way under the skin on the right side of her face just under her right nostril. It looked like a very hard zit. I cut it open and used tweezers to pull it out, put neosporin on it and she was good to go.
    Yep, feed and environmental factors contribute to sneezing for sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by