Sneezing young chick - no other symptoms

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by I have WHAT in my yard?, May 7, 2009.

1. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    I just got four chicks - at one week old. Now at two weeks the one chick seems to be sneezing. It has no other symptoms and no runny eyes, no discharge nothing. The flock that they hatched out of is also healthy seeming, but i know sick birds can be carriers.

Do I cull this chick to save the flock? Do I have to get rid of all four? I have them quarantined form my main flock.

2. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

could it possibly be the shavings? maybe its sensitive to them.

also...could be it just got water in its nostrils...

has it been doing it consistently?

wow, this is really a hard call since you say there are no other symptoms.

I hope you can figure it out soon....

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I wonder just like Hennysmom. Dust from shavings? My Lilith has always sneezed when she eats too fast.

4. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    2 main reasons for sneezing in these guys:

1. Aspergillosis - the affected chick will most likely die, but it usually doesn't spread to others since it is ubiquitous in the environment and only chicks that are susceptible will get it.
    2. Mycoplasma (MG) - the chick will most likely recover, but may end up a carrier. All the other chicks and any others exposed already have it...they may or may not show signs and may or may not become carriers. Most likely your other chickens have been exposed unless your quarantining involves changing boots, clothes, and washing your hands every time you go back and forth.

5. Glenda L Heywood

Glenda L Heywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    1, from

WikiAnswers - Why does your chicken sneeze Chickens and Roosters question: Why does your chicken sneeze? Do you mean one particular chicken? Does the chicken sneeze only sometimes, then seem fine ...

Why does your chicken sneeze?
    In: Chickens and Roosters

Chickens have noses that are just little holes next to their top beak. When they peck at the ground or eat messy things, they will wipe their nose on the grass or their body to clean their nose. Sometimes, I think, it helps to sneeze.
    Sneezing is often just a way for the chicken to clear dust and debris from its nasal cavities. Careful observation of the birds general health is needed to determine if something more is going on. Check for mucus around the mouth eyes and nostrils. See if the chicken is active among the flock and going about its daily routines.

If the bird is quiet and inactive during the day then you can assume it is in fact sick. Partially closed and dull eyes are another sign the bird feels unwell. A water soluble tonic called Polytonine A added to the water will help perk up the flock and is available under several brand names from local feed and grain suppliers. Watch for loose stools and blood in the feces, these are signs of more serious problems.

Cleaning

This is probably the easiest way to avoid sick birds. Over-cleaning is not necessary. The birds need to have access to droppings to maintain natural "gut flora". I know it sounds awful, but it's absolutely necessary for their health.

Excessive dust in their coop. It can cause respiratory problems for them, and sneezing/allergy fits for you. I hose the coops down entirely on a regular basis (3 months or so) to keep them as dust-free as possible.

if you goto
    http://www.google.com
    put in
    chickens sneezing and read there are a lot to learn there

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    I am pretty sure they're sick at this point, the baby still has no other symptoms, but the rooster of my main flock sounds dreadful, wheezing and congested.

We have had non-stop rain and rain and rain for two weeks. The whole yard is a swamp and everything is damp. Could that be the culprit rather than the new babies? The new babies are still in quarantine, but I do not do full bio security they are just kept separated and don't share anything.

7. vtsarahb

vtsarahb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Bradford, VT
    I have wondered this too- once in a while one of my chicks will sneeze- they don't do it constantly. They also have no other symptoms and are very active. I am hoping they just got a bit of dust up their nose and it's nothing to worry about.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by