1. Ladychick 34

Ladychick 34 Hatching

May 21, 2019
    So I have 9 weeks old littles (not so little). All 3 have always sneezed I just did a corid treatment and now they are outside all have always acted fine but are still sneezing. There is a clear mucus that sometimes comes out there nose. so moving on I decided on getting 3 more who always sneeze that are only 3 weeks old......should I do another corid treatment? Should I do it on the babies also or could it be an allergy thing? They were in separate boxes but I did purchase from the same store all from different bins there also though?

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi @Ladychick 34 :frow Welcome To BYC

How often is the sneezing?
    Where do you brood your chicks and what type of bedding do you use?
    Where did the chicks come from?

Sneezing with clear mucous sounds like respiratory illness. Which one it would be hard to know without testing.
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
    Sometimes something in the environment can cause respiratory symptoms as well - usually mold and/or poor ventilation.

Since you were able to get more chicks that have always been sneezing - I'm assuming from the same source? Then likely respiratory illness is a better explanation. See if the chicks are able to overcome on their own. If they present with more symptoms - watery eyes, difficulty breathing, coughing, etc. then it may be wise to treat with an antibiotic to see if that makes a difference. As you will read in the link referenced above, respiratory illnesses make birds carriers and they can pass on illness throughout their lifetime. It's always a good idea to get testing to find out what you are dealing with if at all possible.

Corid is a Coccidiostat and not an antibiotic. It will not treat any respiratory illnesses, it only treats Coccidiosis which is a protozoa found in poop and soil. It acts as a Thiamine (B1) blocker which starves out the protozoa and allows chicks to build resistance.

3. Ladychick 34

Ladychick 34 Hatching

May 21, 2019

I am very paranoid about my babies

When they were little I did find mold in there bin. I did have them inside. I do feel like there sneezing has calmed down now that they are outside with the other girls. They never sounded like they coughed just sneezy. I have used a few things an alfalfa mix and I now use wood shavings that are dust free

4. Ladychick 34

Ladychick 34 Hatching

May 21, 2019

Inside I’m sure the ventilation wasn’t amazing. I got them from a Wilco store

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: