1. whoacowboy

whoacowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Town of Clayton
    My 21 week old barred rock has been "sneezing" the last two days. Other than the occasionally sound she has had no other changes. What is this and how do I help her?

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:It could be environmental; if you're feeding crumbles, sometimes dust will get in their nostrils and cause them to sneeze, or a crumble particle was somehow inhaled through the nostril causing her to sneeze. Other environmental causes could be pollen, dust, smoke, ammonia from soiled bedding, pestiside fumes etc....
    Have you introduced any new chickens/chicks from an outside source that could have possibly introduced a respiratory disease? If so, there's your answer.

3. whoacowboy

whoacowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Town of Clayton
    No new chickens. We clean the coop once a week. We do feed crumbles. This is the hottest week so far, heat index in the 100s. Could the heat and humidity maybe be an adjustment for her? Since this is her first summer? I don't see any goop in her eyes or nostrils. This is our first go at chickens and boy, everyday it's something [​IMG]

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Extreme heat index can definitely affect their breathing, especially if they're stressed or fussing with each other. My rooster was chasing the hens yesterday and was breathing so hard, he was wheezing. Had to put him in a cage with fan blowing on him to calm him down-thought he'd keel over dead if we didn't. Sneezing with no other symptoms is usually environmental, as dawg said.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I bought 2 box fans yesterday, 1 for each pen. I have 2 fans for each coop....I'll never complain about cold winter again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by