Sneezles

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by northernchick, Jul 26, 2008.

1. northernchick

northernchick New Egg

Jul 26, 2008
    Hi! I am new to the group and to chickens. My eight little chicks are seven weeks old tomorrow. They have been doing great so far. I took the heat lamp off of them a little over a week ago because everyone had their feathers in and it was very warm in my greenhouse coop.
    I had to go on a business trip this past weekend and it was rainy, damp, and raw up here in NH while I was gone. The folks who looked after the chicks gave them lots of love, greens, food, and water while I was gone.
    However, yesterday when I was hanging out with them I noticed that three of them are sneezing. They sound o.k. otherwise but lots of sneezes.
    I wondered if this was just because of the dampness or did they catch a cold or something worse?? Anything I can do? Or do I just wait and see if they get better/worse?
    Thanks in advance. I hope I am in the right place...

2. ronniega1

ronniega1 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2008
    vidalia ga
    when my chickens seem to have a bit of the sniffles i put a little vicks on there beak to keep there sinuses clear. and if they really start to have trouble breathing i use a bowl of hot water with vicks in it and let them drain...had a lot of success doing it this way with all my poultry....hope they get better ronnie:jumpy

3. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:Hi and welcome to BYC, I also am from NH..... It has been really crapy up here the last week.... It could be from the change in weather going from downpours to 85-90 !!! Maybe they got a little cold, if they are still active, eating and drinking I wouldnt worrie about it to to much, see what happens now that we have some good weather, at least for a day or to... Where in NH are from ?? Hope all goes well !!! Ohhh I wanted to ask what kind of chickens do you have ???

4. BJ

BJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2007
    Try 1 t of apple cider vinegar (the organic kind) in 1 gallon of water and let them start drinking that for a while.

5. northernchick

northernchick New Egg

Jul 26, 2008
    Quote:Hi. I live out near Peterborough. How about you? I guess we had a little rain while I was gone!LOL! I have two Buff Orpingtons, two Araucanas, two silver laced wyandottes (one of these turned out to be a roo), and two Black Astralorps. I am having so much fun with them! Who is in your group?
    I am worried that the swing in the weather combined with them losing their light gave them a cold. I plan to dry them out in the sun today [​IMG]

Thanks everyone else for the tips. I had some vinegar so I put that in the water (which they seemed to like actually...), and I will pick up Vicks next time I am out.

6. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:Hi. I live out near Peterborough. How about you? I guess we had a little rain while I was gone!LOL! I have two Buff Orpingtons, two Araucanas, two silver laced wyandottes (one of these turned out to be a roo), and two Black Astralorps. I am having so much fun with them! Who is in your group?
    I am worried that the swing in the weather combined with them losing their light gave them a cold. I plan to dry them out in the sun today [​IMG]

Thanks everyone else for the tips. I had some vinegar so I put that in the water (which they seemed to like actually...), and I will pick up Vicks next time I am out.

I am in the Plymouth area, and yes we got a crap load of rain..... it was bad !!!!! Glad we didn't lose power up here I have about 15 eggs in the incubator on day 12ish, My little group has 23 barred rocks (chicks,hens and a rooster), 4 araucanas chicks, and 12 silkies (chicks,hens and a rooster). I noticed one of my hens is not herself I guess thats what happens when you stand in the rain for a week, it's funny you would think they would go in there coop and stay dry and some what warm but they don't they like to stand in the rain all day and look like drowned chickens !!!! But then again I have some werido chickens !!!! How far from Plymouth are you ??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by