Sneezy Australorp

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by paulio, Dec 6, 2011.

1. paulio

paulio New Egg

Dec 6, 2011
    Hi first time post,

I'm living in Sydney, australia and have just joined the forum. I just bought my first hens this last weekend which are 1 x Australorp and 2 x Australorp/Rhode Island Red cross. The two crosses are fine but the australorp seems to be a bit sneezy and shy

I think the Australorp is around 14 weeks whereas the crosses are 16 weeks. I'm just looking for some basic advice as to whether i need to worry at this point abot the sneezing

Hooroo

Paulio

2. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    I would keep him seprate from the others,is there any other symptoms such as runny eyes nose,swollen face runny poop?

3. bgbg001

bgbg001 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2011
    Hi Paulio

I live in Victoria, Australia, I have about 6 of my Hens with the same problem out of my 12 at the moment, " we had a sudden bout of cold weather with a massive rain downpour for 2 days, it turned my backyard into a lake ", Try to get some OXYMAV-B I get mine from vetnpet direct on the internet "QLD", it is a broad spectrum antibiotic for birds, and is especially useful for respiratory diseases, Its not cheap though but its good to keep some handy, as I have found chickens are quite Prone to getting a Cold, Sneezes, Gurgles etc.

I just purchased a 1 kilo container today around $75 delivered !! OUCH. there is also a 100gr container, I bought 2 of these last time and went through them fairly quickly though. "This is the cheapest place I have found in Australia for this stuff, but you need to fulfill a minimum order amount"

Keep your eye on your other birds for sneezing, gurgling, runny nose.

Hooroo <- LOL [​IMG]

cheers
    Bill

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Welcome to BYC. Since you just acquired your birds last weekend, it's difficult to tell if the sneezing is/was caused by an environmental issue or if it's a respiratory problem. I would bet on the latter. You can call the previous owner and ask if you wish, it'll help you determine your next course of action. Environmental issues can be corrected. Most respiratory issues can be treated with antibiotics but they only treat symptoms and dont cure the disease, birds usually remain carriers. Your other option would be to cull.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by