sneezy chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by millebantam, Jan 31, 2009.

1. millebantam

millebantam Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Little Rhody
    I've got a group of chicks that are about 3 weeks old. today I noticed (heard) one of them sneezing. I kept watching her, and it seems pretty regular. I quickly isolated her to her own little "hospital brooder". It seems like the rest of the chicks are fine and unneffected. I've never had much luck with these "sneezers" getting any better in the past. Should I just cull it and be done with it, or wait to see if it pulls out of it? It is eating and drinking normally, just sneezes pretty often. I have these in the basement and am paranoid of it spreading, whatever it is. Has anyone else had any success with healing a sneezer? Thanks in advance.

2. Animal15

Animal15 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2009
    OK go to the feed store and get terimizen (think thats how it is spelled) its in a yellow bag it is the best ever never lost a chicken with it.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. MarlaKaye

MarlaKaye Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2009
    Yes I have had both little chicks and a 6 week old pull out of it when I used the anitbiotic mentioned by previous writer. There will be left over, so keep it on hand.
    Also at"Ideal Chicks" the lady told me to give them the brand name of 4 in one nasal spray. It fixes them right up. Give it to them every 6 hrs. If you can't spray it into their nose, just put a drop on the nostril. (One nostril at a time) I keep mine seraprate for at lease a week when this happens.

4. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I have a few chickens outside I noticed sneezing after this ICE storm we had. Would this also be good to give to them and how much does it cost at the feed store?

5. millebantam

millebantam Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Little Rhody
    Thanks for the replies. I have used antibiotics as a treatment in the past with mixed results. It usually clears up the visible symptoms, but for some reason the chickens still end up slow in development, and never seem to finish out like the healthier ones. I'll give it a try this time. It's a really nice Welsummer pullet from excellent stock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by