Sneezy chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JakRat, Aug 7, 2011.

1. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    I have a 2 month old Americuna or EE and she is sneezing and has been for over a week. She has been on Tylan 50 for 4 days now and I am at a loss on what to do next. I hear no wheezing, maybe just a bit of chest congestion, but barely..... any thoughts?

2. chiken lover863

chiken lover863 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2011
    arcadia
    it could have a cold

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:My 3 year old EE "honks" when it's very hot. Could hot temps cause what you suspect as "abit of chest congestion?" The sneezing could be environmental. Dust from their feed, especially if it's crumbles, can cause sneezing. Ammonia fumes from soiled bedding can cause sneezing. DE can cause sneezing, pollen, dirt/dust, smoke, pesticides on the lawn etc...
    The tylan wouldve slowed or stopped the sneezing by now if it was a respiratory disease. Since there are no other symptoms, and if she's eating and drinking normally, I suspect it's an environmental issue.

4. JakRat

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Quote:My 3 year old EE "honks" when it's very hot. Could hot temps cause what you suspect as "abit of chest congestion?" The sneezing could be environmental. Dust from their feed, especially if it's crumbles, can cause sneezing. Ammonia fumes from soiled bedding can cause sneezing. DE can cause sneezing, pollen, dirt/dust, smoke, pesticides on the lawn etc...
    The tylan wouldve slowed or stopped the sneezing by now if it was a respiratory disease. Since there are no other symptoms, and if she's eating and drinking normally, I suspect it's an environmental issue.

Thats frustrating!

The bedding is new... we just cleaned out the coop and she was doing this before we put her outside... could be the food but she does it too when she is out wandering around. I am very close to giving her some benadryl!

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I use layer crumbles for feed. My Red Star somehow snorted a single crumble in her nostril awhile back. At the time I didnt know it happened and she was always sneezing thereafter. There were no other symptoms of CRD. I maintain a closed flock and I knew it wasnt a CRD. After a several days she stopped sneezing. About a week later I observed what looked like a white "zit" on the right side of her head, just behind her beak. It was rock hard and I conducted minor surgery to remove it. Sure enough, it was a feed crumble and it was starting to get infection around it. A little neosporin to the incision took care of it. This is just an example of what happened to one of my hens. Tylan in my instance wouldnt have helped neither. I dont know if chickens get allergies, I suppose it's possible. You can type "allergies" in the BYC search box and see what shows up. Good luck.

6. JakRat

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Quote:All I seem to find is human allergies. I will have to check her tomorrow to see if maybe she does have something up there! I don't think its cdr since its not smelly or have a ton of chest congestion.

7. JakRat

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Quote:All I seem to find is human allergies. I will have to check her tomorrow to see if maybe she does have something up there! I don't think its cdr since its not smelly or have a ton of chest congestion.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by