Sneezy Chickens?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickengoober, Aug 12, 2011.

1. chickengoober

chickengoober Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2011
    Belton, TX
    So, I have five 9 week old pullets, who seem to be a little sneezy. Are there any common issues chicks this age have? They were raised in a huge flock untill I brought the five home a few days ago. Maybe it has to do with thier new surroundings? Help a new chicken momma out...[​IMG]

2. DawnCols

DawnCols Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    It could be that they came with some kind of respiratory bug.
    Perhaps you could give some more details:

What is your setup? Describe their environment now. What are you using for bedding?

I take it you don't have any other chickens--but just in case, you probably want to keep them separated from any other birds. You don't want other birds to catch it from them.

As for what to do, I'm not sure. Hopefully others who are more knowledgeable will chime in soon.

Good luck!

3. CinnamonQueen12

CinnamonQueen12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    When any bird is introduced to a new surrounding, they are nervous, and I've heard that their immune system is not in peak condition. Sneezy chicks? Sounds like a common cold they could have picked up. Give them some oatmeal with a little bit of crushed up garlic. The garlic can fight germs and the oatmeal disguises the taste of the garlic. Give it to them a few times a week for as many weeks as needed until the sneezing goes away. Also, look for runny noses, watery eyes, etc. Good luck!

4. ChickDaze

ChickDaze Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    Sneezy chicks? Sounds like a common cold they could have picked up.

or they might just have dirt up there nose. they get that from rubbing there beaks over dirt.​

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Chickens dont get common colds. They get specific respiratory disease(s) and remain carriers for life. The carrier birds will spread the disease. Respiratory diseases cant be cured, antibiotics only mask the the symptoms. Strict quarantine procedures should be adhered to when introducing new birds, practice biosecurity. Hopefully in this instance it is an environmental problem.

6. chickengoober

chickengoober Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2011
    Belton, TX
    What is your setup? Describe their environment now. What are you using for bedding?

I take it you don't have any other chickens--but just in case, you probably want to keep them separated from any other birds. You don't want other birds to catch it from them.

The setup? a 10x10 run out in the backyard with thier 4x4 coop on stilts inside. The run is completely inclosed...the swat team wouldn't be able to get in, let alone a racoon. Ventailation was taken care of with two vents mounted on eitherside of the walls at the very top to allow heat to escape (can be closed in winter). We're in central TX so it has be extrememly hot lately...we get excited when the weatherman says it should be below 105. Oh and we're using pine shavings but want to switch to straw as soon as we use up the rest of the shavings.

No other chickens, just these five. Although we are renting the house (with a very nice landlord [​IMG] ) and we have no idea what the previous tenents could have been doing in the backyard as far as keeping livestock.

Give them some oatmeal with a little bit of crushed up garlic

I'm going to have to give that a try...but I doubt they'll eat it. They don't seem to be interested in anything but thier feed. I even but some tomatoe and watermellon chuncks in thier feeder. Pecked right around it...they just completely ignored it. I was like, no way... [​IMG].

or they might just have dirt up there nose. they get that from rubbing there beaks over dirt

This could also be the problem. the're run is pleanty dusty (we just put in mister that is takeing care of part of the run anyways) We havent had a chance to clean then off at all, as they're still skittish and don't like beeing handled at all. I didn't want to cause them anymore stress if they're already sick.​

7. DawnCols

DawnCols Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    It sounds like you've really done some homework on chicken keeping!

Perhaps the dust is the cause. I imagine the mister will help with that.
    Pine shavings shouldn't cause sneezing--or I should really say, in my experience over one year with a handful of chickens, they had pine shavings of different sizes and didn't sneeze.

Sounds like biosecurity (that means preventing diseases from spreading) is not an issue for you unless you get more birds.

On an unrelated note: When you switch to straw, you probably want to read some threads on here about straw. I've read about people having problems related to chickens eating it. I'm no expert and I didn't pay much attention, since I use pine. But I also see lots of pics of happy birds using straw, so obviously people must use it successfully.

I hope you find that the birds improve! Please keep us posted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by