Sneezy Peacocks *UPDATE*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TinkleTurkey, Sep 1, 2010.

1. TinkleTurkey

TinkleTurkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Palmdale
    I think I did something rather dumb. I just bought a couple of peacocks from someone it was after dark when i went to pick them up. I shined a flashlight on them, they were energetic and squirmy and seemed alright I wasnt too worried about it.
    Well on the way home I started to notice they were a little wheezy...

They are sneezing and wheezing and gurgling, and one of them has an eyebrow higher than the other like it might be infected or something - his head looks bumpy! Or perhaps he is just defective... Otherwise they seem ok, have a good appetite. I hope this is just a minor respiratory infection. I have some polymycin I bought at the feed store a couple months ago should I give them that? At what point does this merit a trip to the vet?

And also, if this clears up how long shall i keep them quarantined?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  2. atimme

atimme Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2010
    Chicago
    You can use the polymycin for about 10-14 days, you should see a noticeable difference in about a week. Keep them quarantined for a minimum of 4 weeks: that's the standard rule. Any less than that runs the risk of missing the signs of other problems.

3. reesepoultry

reesepoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2009
    Are they still doing this. Peafowl are very high strung and will do that for a couple of hours after getting handled or chased. I have had ones get so stressed out that they died. Like they had a heart attack. Especially if they haven't been handled much.

4. TinkleTurkey

Apr 7, 2010
    Palmdale
    I got a chicken from them too, with clearly the same affliction.

I'll try administering polymycin. Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  5. TinkleTurkey

Apr 7, 2010
    Palmdale
    ok so I have been giving them polymycin and they've been busily eating and drinking

they are still sneezing and wheezing but otherwise normal in behavior

what really concerns me at the moment is the state of their digestive tract: between them I have seen a lot of really watery poo. And by watery I mean, it looks like puddles of water with no color at all. Sometimes there is food in it, but it looks mushy not digested at all.
    I fed them some bread, and their poo looked like a puddle of water with some bread in it...

What might be causing this and what should I do? Is this an adverse reaction to the antibiotic? Do they have worms? Help please!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by