1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

sneezy question- please give advice

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by karen, Dec 12, 2007.

1. karen

karen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2007
    Easton,PA
    I came home from work tonite and one of the hens (Cochin Bantam) was in the hen house, on a roost, sneezing- "psh-choo"and then shaking her head.
    When I picked her up her crop and neck were all gurgly. I have her isolated in the pottery studio under a lamp with food, scratch and water. any ideas about what I can do for her?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  2. karen

karen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2007
    Easton,PA
    I can close this post! I just checked in on her and she has stopped the sneezing and seems right as rain!
    Do you think she had a hard time with something she ate?
    I will be doing some reading up on how chickens digest things today for sure. It will be a better day because she seems well again!

3. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    had you changed the bedding? it can be dry and dusty...this will make them sneeze

4. karen

karen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2007
    Easton,PA
    I use dried pine shavings and just added a fresh bale a week ago when we had a big temp. drop in the weather. The coop seems pretty clean-well- for a chicken coop!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by