Sneezy silkies

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by caleyoh, Dec 29, 2013.

1. caleyoh

caleyoh Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2013
    San Diego, CA
    Let me start off by saying this is my first chicken owning experience, so everything is foreign. We've had these adorable fuzzbutts a week now, and one of the older cheeps is sneezing. We don't know exact age, but judging by pics I'd say she is 3-4 months old. The others sneeze after dust baths every once in a while, but she seems to do it a lot more. She doesn't seem sick at all, normal poop, clear eyes and clear nostrils. Am I overreacting? I don't use cedar shavings in the coop, part of the run does have sand but it is washed/screened and river sand recommended on the forums :) the other part is dirt, and the girls have been free ranging during our off times.

Thanks,

Overly worried new chicken owner :p

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It may just be that they are sneezing from the coop dust or an ammonia smell from droppings. Make sure there is no mold from wet pine shavings or feed. Watch for any respiratory symptoms such as watery eyes or runny nose, or swelling of the eyes. Good ventilation will help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by