Sneezy, snotty nosed hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by austinclarksf, Mar 17, 2013.

1. austinclarksf

austinclarksf Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2012
    Hi there, my hen seems sick and I am treating her the best way I know to. Maybe you know something I don't? I'm grateful for any ideas or feedback.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
    I don't know exactly what type of hen, but there's a picture of her in my profile pic. She's the blonde. Her name's Mary.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    Mary seems to have snot on her nose most of the time, hay and dirt are constantly stuck to her beak. She also has short little sneezing fits every so often, which sometimes involve some honking noises. The past few days, sometimes I can see strands of snot flinging around her head after sneezing. The mucus seems slightly cloudy but clear, and odorless. Her behavior is 100% normal outside of this, she has an appetite, she is drinking water, and scratching and playing. Her feathers are slightly tuffled, but she may just be molting, nighttime temperatures are rising these days.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    Maybe 2 weeks

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    My only other hen sneezes sometimes, but not in fits. I think they are normal sneezes, it is very dry and dusty here in Albuqeruque New Mexico. She does not have snot or discharge.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    Not that I have noticed.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    I got three hens in December of last year. One was ill from the minute I got her, but I did not notice enough to react until mid January. I had to put said hen down last week due to her very odd repsiratory condition, after what had appeared to be a winning battle with the illness, until a recent turn for the worse. She was not quarantined, seeing how she'd had a month already to infect the other girls. She was living with the condition for 2 months as I attempted to treat her, as the other hens showed no signs of infection of her nature. She was sneezing, but did not have very much discharge or snot, if any. Mostly, her issues surrounded a large raised bump on her head and bubbly discharge in her eye, lethargy, lack of appetite. I replaced all the hay and cleaned all the nesting boxes after removing her from the flock.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    Plenty of organic pellet feed, white corn, mealworms and bugs, fruits and veggies, whatever she can get down her gullet. I'm mixing her water with apple cider vinegar, and prior to starting her antibiotic regiment, I was mixing a vitamin/electrolyte blend into their water, I've heard such products can inhibit the effects of antibiotics.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    Maybe slightly runny. Mostly normal.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    Two days ago I started dropping Tetracycline Hydrochloride down both my girl's throats. It's recommended that this be applied to their water twice daily, but I have noticed that the girls would rather go thirsty than drink the treated water. I am mixing a very concentrated dose with lemon or orange and water and giving them 3-4 eye dropper fulls once per day. I have been doing this for two days.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    I generally cannot afford vets. I am looking for any advice on my hen's condition.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    Will work on it.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    Pine nesting boxes from fresh local pine, and dry straw/hay/grass/alfalfa from the broken bales around my work.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by